M/f....? Gourami/gbr Genders?

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
StI'll I don't have like a definite answer and still worried if I add another male gbr it will become aggresive. My LFS has a no return policy. I'm 99.9% sure 1 is a female, but not sure of the other. The other gbr like to swim by the other or relatively close to her, and try to gently nip her side. Yesterday I saw them lip locking and swimming circles around eachother. The female gbr has a bright pink belly, very visible and the other has just a shade of pink, visible but not as noticeable as the other. The both are relatively the same size and I can't see other differences. They don't seem to he hating on each other so that's good. Just wanna know then gender before I go and get another GBR. Also I have a honey gouramI and was wondeing gender on him/her before I get another honey. Getting 2 males won't be a good sight.....

Female GBR:

Other gbr:

Gourami:

And do all my fish look healthy? And wondering what gbr like to eat since they don't like the fish flakes I feed.

OP
IcedColdMine

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
Both GBRs are female.
So would it be safe to get a male and have 2F and 1M?

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IcedColdMine said:
So would it be safe to get a male and have 2F and 1M?
Unless in large groups, it's best to stick to even numbers.

OP
IcedColdMine

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
Unless in large groups, it's best to stick to even numbers.
So return the less colored female and get a male? The colored female looks bloated as if she wants to lay eggs but idk.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I would try and get a male and see if one will pair up than get rid of the other female because she will not be welcomed, the DG the picture is pretty blurry can't tell but if had to guess I would say male.

OP
IcedColdMine

IcedColdMine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yukondog said:
I would try and get a male and see if one will pair up than get rid of the other female because she will not be welcomed, the DG the picture is pretty blurry can't tell but if had to guess I would say male.
The male is making bubble nests in my tank..... I don't think females do that particularly, thanks!

New Threads