Lyretail Swordtail Breeding??!! Question

1. FishyFan2018

FishyFan2018 Valued Member Member

I found a gorgeous lyretail swordtail at a new LPS. I thought was just a really pretty male but found out its a new hybrid. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck breeding them or if it's even possible. I believe I have a male based off the long anal fin but it's really really fat and my male keeps trying to breed with it so it's throwing me off. I'm not going to actively breed the strain I just was curious to know if anyone has actually had any luck breeding them.

Attached Files:

2. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

because there a live brearer there probly easy to breed...

3. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

A lot of things I read said that due to an elongated something tube it's too big usually to breed. I was just curious.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a male Lyretail, possibly Hifin, and the gonopodium is too elongate to function, so it is considered functionally sterile, i.e., incapable of breeding. The big belly is from overfeeding.

5. coralbandit

coralbandit Valued Member Member

I agree .
    To breed lyres you need a female lyre and regular male or a king lyre.
    A regular male bred with lyre female will have some lyre fry but not all since the male carries no lyre genes.
    The king lyre is a 'new' fish whose gonopodium is short enough to breed and thus has full set of lyre tail fry.
    Long fins are a better choice for breeding IMO as the gonopodium does not become so elongated [deformed] and can breed readily with females.

6. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Well least I have a pretty fish