Lyretail molly gender identification query

Pinky191
Hi, I am looking for assistance on identifying the gender of this molly... I was told it was a female when I purchased it, but he/she is pretty aggressive, so I'm not so sure (I've heard females are less aggressive than males). If anyone can help me out I would very much appreciate it.

IMG_0988.JPG

flyinGourami
Looking at the analfin, looks like a male to me. Livebearers tend to be pretty nasty to their own kind ime.

Wardonianfungus
I think it’s a male as well. If you look near it’s analfin, do you see a milky-transparent rod sticking out? If you do it’s a male

flyinGourami
I think it looks like a male, but one question, is this the only molly in the tank? If there are other mollies, does he/she chase them?

Pinky191
I have in that same (55 gal) tank a dalmation molly female that has given birth twice to about 12 fry in all since I got her about 4 months ago. This male is strutting around, looking for trouble & aggressively charging anyone that gets in its way. I wanted to make an all female molly tank & will remove any male babies once I can discern their gender. I guess I will remove this male molly now, too...thanks for your quick replies!

flyinGourami
I have in that same (55 gal) tank a dalmation molly female that has given birth twice to about 12 fry in all since I got her about 4 months ago. This male is strutting around, looking for trouble & aggressively charging anyone that gets in its way. I wanted to make an all female molly tank & will remove any male babies once I can discern their gender. I guess I will remove this male molly now, too...thanks for your quick replies!
No problem. Sounds pretty much like a male to me. Keep in mind that females can store sperm packets though so even if you separate them, they might and probably will still give birth.

Pinky191
No problem. Sounds pretty much like a male to me. Keep in mind that females can store sperm packets though so even if you separate them, they might and probably will still give birth.
Yes, I've read about that, thank for the heads up, tho

flyinGourami
Yes, I've read about that, thank for the heads up, tho
No problem, just wanted to warn you since some people don't know and the population explodes and it gets confusing lol

Looking at the analfin, looks like a male to me. Livebearers tend to be pretty nasty to their own kind ime.
Edit/update: I looked closer and it could be a female. The rounded tummy suggests that it is a female, so it could be either one. Srry if I confused you, I'm having second thoughts on it now.

Pinky191
Edit/update: I looked closer and it could be a female. The rounded tummy suggests that it is a female, so it could be either one. Srry if I confused you, I'm having second thoughts on it now.
I hear you....btw, that rounded tummy has been around since I got it 4 months ago when I got my dalmation molly at the same time. Since then, the dalmation has given birth twice while this other one has not. I always thought it was going to give birth at any time now but it has stayed this rounded shape since I got it so I think it might just be an overweight male...

flyinGourami
I hear you....btw, that rounded tummy has been around since I got it 4 months ago when I got my dalmation molly at the same time. Since then, the dalmation has given birth twice while this other one has not. I always thought it was going to give birth at any time now but it has stayed this rounded shape since I got it so I think it might just be an overweight male...
Yup, definitely possible(they are like little pigs lol). For now I would either seprate him or her, or you can just keep a close eye on them. If its a he, keeping him in there for a while shouldn't be a problem.

Pinky191
Yup, definitely possible(they are like little pigs lol). For now I would either seprate him or her, or you can just keep a close eye on them. If its a he, keeping him in there for a while shouldn't be a problem.
Ok, thanks!

emeraldking
This is definitely a female and not a male. Fermale lyretail mollies look like this. The analfin is of a female. There are no masculine features.

Well both genders can be aggressive...

Pinky191
This is definitely a female and not a male. Female lyretail mollies look like this. The analfin is of a female.

Thanks! I had looked but have not found a pic online of a female lyretail that looks like mine so I wasn't sure...

emeraldking
Thanks! I had looked but have not found a pic online of a female lyretail that looks like mine so I wasn't sure...
You're welcome.
I keep and breed them as well...

flyinGourami
This is definitely a female and not a male. Fermale lyretail mollies look like this. The analfin is of a female. There are no masculine features.

Whoops! I stand corrected. You are right, I looked more in on it and from what I've heard shes a female. Srry Pinky191 for confusing you!

Pinky191
Whoops! I stand corrected. You are right, I looked more in on it and from what I've heard she's a female. Srry Pinky191 for confusing you!
Np, I know it's not a simple matter to get these things straight; sometimes detective work is required to get down to the bottom of it...thanks, all, for your help!

emeraldking
Overhere a short video I've made of a mix of normal and lyretail (unfortunately, no lyretail females in that small container... scooped the wrong ones out). But lyretail males are in there as well. See the difference...
Panda mollies and gold dust mollies are called gold dust mollies overhere in Holland.

flyinGourami
Overhere a short video I've made of a mix of normal and lyretail (unfortunately, no lyretail females in that small container... scooped the wrong ones out). But lyretail males are in there as well. See the difference...
Panda mollies and gold dust mollies are called gold dust mollies overhere in Holland.
Wow they are beautiful! Thanks for sharing

emeraldking
Pinky191

Nice fish! Thanks for posting! I see the lyretail male & can now def tell the differences compared to my fish.

emeraldking
Nice fish! Thanks for posting! I see the lyretail male & can now def tell the differences compared to my fish.
My pleasure...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ayrigosa
Top Bottom