Lyretail Molly Babies!?

fishfanatic15

Our lyretail molly had babies quite a bit ago. They are getting bigger and I can’t quite remember how old they are at this point since they were a bit unplanned and just showed up from mom after we brought her home from the pet store I will be moving all of the fish in this tank to a bigger tank to accommodate the 3 babies that have survived to be big enough where they shouldn’t be eaten anymore. She had more but we just left them to natural selection, and have come out with 3. I will need to figure out which are males and which are females so I don’t end up over populated. I’ll attach pictures of them although I don’t know if they are old enough to sex yet. Anyway, the point of this post is to discuss what these babies actually are. We had a white ballon molly in this tank with the lyretail who has unfortunately passed on. My mom insists that the babies are a cross between the lyre and the ballon but I don’t see much ballon in them. I know that they can stay pregnant forever so that is why I’m thinking that they aren’t from those two. They have almost the same pattern as their mom does but they don’t have the characteristic lyre shaped tail. Idk if it just develops later or if they are a different cross breed. I’m looking for guesses as to their sex and their possible crosses.
TIA

This is mom

Image1542411786.045575.jpg

Here is one baby

Image1542411874.893757.jpg

I can’t get a picture of the other two since they are small and a bit camera shy. I will try to take more pictures later.

Crazycoryfishlady

Awwwww!!!!! Beautiful baby!!! That one you posted is a female I'm sure. I don't see how that would grow up to become a male.

There's two tail types that I know of for mollies, lyre, and rounded.
Lyretails look like your momma of cource, and the rounded mollies look like this.

15424150226721439759637.jpg
As you can see, your baby has a more triangle like tail, and this actually answers a question of mine.
Your babies seem to be at least 3 months, if not 4 months old, and their tails aren't rounded, so it suggests their lyre comes a bit later on, while their tail grows into a triangular shape.
I was curious how long it would take to tell, and yours being part way into development is a good answer for me!

20181106_104055.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
  • Question
  • seeker3313
  • Molly
Replies
Views
bwer2
  • maeh22