Lyretail mollies, female or male?

BlueAndBlack

Hello
So I have a black lyretail molly and a golden dust lyratail. I bought both as females and I also have two other mollies who are definitely female (both were pregnant and had fry). But the two lyratails were never pregnant in the almost three months I already have them (and they were in the shop together with males, it was a mixed tank my other two females weren't in a tank with males but are nevertheless pregnant). Also the black lyretail often chases my female black molly (she just gave birth to her fry today and especially now I have the feeling that the chasing got more, or I maybe just notice just now more
And here are pictures of them:

Are they really female because I can't really belive it anymore.
Also they are like 7 cm long, that is like almost three inches I think. (also I googled that would be the exact size for the males)
Thank you for replies!

AcornTheBetta

BlueAndBlack said:
Hello
So I have a black lyretail molly and a golden dust lyratail. I bought both as females and I also have two other mollies who are definitely female (both were pregnant and had fry). But the two lyratails were never pregnant in the almost three months I already have them (and they were in the shop together with males, it was a mixed tank my other two females weren't in a tank with males but are nevertheless pregnant). Also the black lyretail often chases my female black molly (she just gave birth to her fry today and especially now I have the feeling that the chasing got more, or I maybe just notice just now more
And here are pictures of them:

Are they really female because I can't really belive it anymore.
Also they are like 7 cm long, that is like almost three inches I think. (also I googled that would be the exact size for the males)
Thank you for replies!
I think the top one is male. The bottom is female. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's right.

BlueAndBlack

AcornTheBetta said:
I think the top one is male. The bottom is female. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's right.
Oh tank you! Now if you don't mind I would like to ask another related question. Is lyratail a more prominent gene, so is my fry more likely to have a fancy fin like that or are they more likely to have "normale" fins? Or is that something that you can't really tell and you just have to wait and see?

AcornTheBetta

BlueAndBlack said:
Oh tank you! Now if you don't mind I would like to ask another related question. Is lyratail a more prominent gene, so is my fry more likely to have a fancy fin like that or are they more likely to have "normale" fins? Or is that something that you can't really tell and you just have to wait and see?
I honestly have no idea.

BlueAndBlack

emeraldking

Can't really tell wether the black one is male or female for it's not clear wether it's having a clamped analfin or a gonopodium. The gold dust one is definitely a female.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom