Lyretail Guppy Nip?

rainydays

Hiya! I'm fairly new to Fishlore and fishkeeping general (I just have to say that joining forum has been one of the most helpful decisions during my journey and I'm super grateful!) but, with that aside, I do have a bit of a concern about my one male, blue lyretail guppy.

He lives in an aquarium with two other male guppies (and a few little shrimps) and there doesn't seem to be too much fighting and bickering amongst them but a couple of days ago, I noticed that he had a bit of what looks to be a shallow nip on the top of the bottom tail section! He seems to be swimming around as normal, not loitering in any particular place in the tank, pecking at the rocks and plants as usual; he responds just as excitedly to food as his tank mates and always swims up to greet anybody who walks by his tank.

I'm worried that he may have fin rot, due to the very fine white edge to the cut, but it looked like a fairly clean cut upon examination. Could he have torn it against something in the tank or could he have been nipped at during the night or when I wasn't paying attention? If it is fin rot, is there anything that would be recommended to help him?

Attached here is a photo of him! Many apologies for the poor quality and the glare across him; could only take a picture with my phone.

Attachments

• lyretail.png
    lyretail.png
    495.4 KB · Views: 91

PurplePanda145

Welcome to Fishlore!
Fin rot is typically caused by poor water conditions, but as long as your tank is cycled and in good condition, then fin for is likely not the cause.
It's very possible that one of the other guppies nipped him or that it was torn on a decoration. I recommend adding aquarium salt to help with stress and using Melafix to heal it. I used Melafix once to fix my platy's fins, and it helped within a matter of days. I also recommend keeping a close eye on the guppies to see if there is any aggression.
I really hope this helps!

rainydays

My tank is cycled, yes, and I do regular twice-weekly water changes to keep the water in as stable and healthy conditions as it can be. I think it's entirely possible that he might have torn it; I don't see it getting any worse, however, and his behavior is still the same as it was! I'll certainly try the salt and Melafix, however, especially if it gets any worse.

Thank you!

PurplePanda145

You're welcome! I hope the Melafix helps!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • TacomaToker
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • ashrimpin
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Gone