Lumpy Dojo Loaches

1. LowieTheLoach Initiate Member

Let me first say that I've searched this site and others and can't find any definitive answers. I've not seen any posts where the person came back and said if the fish ended up ok.

Last night I noticed lumps on 2 of my dojo loaches. I haven't done anything different lately and my water parameters were good when I checked before my normal weekly pwc last Saturday. Unfortunately, I can't test the nitrates or nitrates as it was the last of the testing solutions that my brother had given me. Can't get more until payday.

Anyway, I'm going to do a pwc today and probably everyday while this is going on. I've got some melafix and jungle antibacterial food, but I don't want to medicate unnecessarily. Should I go ahead and try one or give the extra pwc a chance to work first?

Sorry about this being long, I feel like all my posts are long winded. I'm really worried. Lowie was my first loach and I've had him over a year now. Nero is one of my medium guys that I've had for about 5 months. They're both still acting and eating normal.

Please help! I'd be devastated if I lost either of these guys.
  2. 2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

3. LowieTheLoach Initiate Member

I tried, but I couldn't get a clear one. I planned to try again when I get back home.
  4. Nataku Well Known Member Member

Lumpy as in how? A kinked spine? Bloated? A pimple or boil like structure somewhere? Something else?
    Pics would really help.

5. LowieTheLoach Initiate Member

So my two sick guys are still being camera shy. They're active, but I can't get a good angle that shows the lump. It's definitely not a kink in the spine. Their sides are just bulged out in places. Most bulges are on both sides, but one spot on the little guy is just on one side. Lowie has a slight whitish line on the bigger lump, but it looks like the skin is trying to stretch and not a wound. I'll attempt to get pics again tomorrow.

I did a 25% water change and fed them peas earlier because I figured it couldn't hurt. They got fresh zucchini and cucumber, too.
  6. LowieTheLoach Initiate Member

I'm still working on a better pic, but this is my best attempt so far. It's hard to see, but that slight bulge on Nero's left side is bigger than the pic shows. I swear Lowie is being intentionally difficult, every time he's at a decent angle he starts putting on a show for the camera. Normally, I love him being a goofball. I keep telling him to stop and be serious for just one pic. He listens about as well as my toddler. I even used my stern mom voice.

Attached Files: