Lumps On Dwarf Neon Rainbow Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Andrew waterson, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Andrew watersonNew MemberMember

One of my dwarf neon rainbow fish has been developing a few lumps over the past few months.

His lower jaw, by his pectoral fin/join and just before his tail.
    None are inflamed, fuzzy, white, red ... Etc and he seems to be active and eating as normal. They are just lumpy!!

No obvious changes in the tank (no new fish) parameters are stable at 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrates are higher (30ppm out the tap) but stay stable in the tank (heavily planted). pH about 7.6 and hard water (London)

It's a 160 litre community tank, all small chilled fish and no aggression (the neon in question is the boss if the rainbow fish!)

They look like tumors to me possibly lymphocytes but haven't to have broken past scales though.

Any help would be really appreciated ... Unfortunately I don't have a Qt tank
    No idea how to treat this:(

Attached Files:

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

It might be Lymphocystis or just genetic skin flaws. Either way there really is no cure. I've only had one fish with Lymphocystis. The virus did not spread to tankmates and it did not kill the infected fish. As long as the tumors don't continue to grow, I'd just let it run its course. If the tumors break through exposing the ugly red growth, might be a good idea to euthanize. No sense pushing your luck.

3. Andrew watersonNew MemberMember

Thanks, that's good to know about lymphocytics.
    I'll keep an eye on him an hope it doesn't get worse.