Lump on the side of my swordtail

1. AHugo Initiate Member

Yesterday, I did a 25% water change, treated the new water, added aquarium salt.

According to my last readings:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: ???
    PH 8.0

Today, I looked into the tank, and one of my swordtails has a lump in front of her tail on top of her lateral line. What the heck is it?

She's swimming about normally and eating well.

Also, I can't quarantine. The tank I was going to use for quarantine had callamanus worms and I'm currently in the process of cleaning/drying/sterilizing it.

Here's the lump
    [​IMG]

That shiny spot is where the lump is. It's the same color as the rest of the fish, just catching the light because it's... lumpy.
    [​IMG]

2. velveteentuzhi Member Member

Possibly cancer? I know certain swordtails are very prone to cancerous lumps....

How is she acting? Active, swimming, eating well?

3. AHugo Initiate Member

She acting completely normal. Had a good breakfast this morning and now is palling around with the other female swordtail.

4. velveteentuzhi Member Member

It seems like it might be either lymphocystis or a benign tumor... I would lean towards tumor, since it looks like one lump, not a cluster of lumps. Since you can't quarantine, keep the water clean, fish stress free, and maybe try to boost her immune system?

Sorry, that's all I've got...

5. AHugo Initiate Member

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on here and hopefully I can get my quarantine tank up and running soon.