Lump on the side of my swordtail

1. A

AHugo Initiate Member

Yesterday, I did a 25% water change, treated the new water, added aquarium salt.

According to my last readings:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: ???
    PH 8.0

Today, I looked into the tank, and one of my swordtails has a lump in front of her tail on top of her lateral line. What the heck is it?

She's swimming about normally and eating well.

Also, I can't quarantine. The tank I was going to use for quarantine had callamanus worms and I'm currently in the process of cleaning/drying/sterilizing it.

Here's the lump
    [​IMG]

That shiny spot is where the lump is. It's the same color as the rest of the fish, just catching the light because it's... lumpy.
    [​IMG]

2. v

velveteentuzhi Member Member

Possibly cancer? I know certain swordtails are very prone to cancerous lumps....

How is she acting? Active, swimming, eating well?

3. OP
    OP
    A

AHugo Initiate Member

She acting completely normal. Had a good breakfast this morning and now is palling around with the other female swordtail.

4. v

velveteentuzhi Member Member

It seems like it might be either lymphocystis or a benign tumor... I would lean towards tumor, since it looks like one lump, not a cluster of lumps. Since you can't quarantine, keep the water clean, fish stress free, and maybe try to boost her immune system?

Sorry, that's all I've got...

5. OP
    OP
    A

AHugo Initiate Member

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on here and hopefully I can get my quarantine tank up and running soon.