Lump On The Side Of A Fish?? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Kody Grieve, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Kody GrieveValued MemberMember

Hi,

I have a dwarf neon rainbow fish which has lost one of his scales.

i didn't think anything of it initially but this lump occurred and has been there for maybe close to a week.

i thought that maybe it was just the soft flesh bulging out while a new scale was covering the exposed flesh but in my experience, you normally see some change occurring.

I attached some photos for reference.

water parameters are 0, 0, 0, pH: 7.4-7.8 ish

tank is a heavily planted Juwel rio 180.

Attached Files:

2. A201Well Known MemberMember

Looks like the problem might be Lymphocystis, an Iridovirus.
    Usually not fatal. Although its not very contagious, it would be a good idea to remove the Rainbow from the display tank.

3. Kody GrieveValued MemberMember

hmmm, ok. i dont have a quarantine tank at the moment and i dont have any small filters to make one out of a plastic tote... will it be ok in the display tank? / will other fish become infected if i leave the infected rainbow in there?

4. A201Well Known MemberMember

I've only had one fish ever to exhibit Lymphocystis. I kept him in the main tank for several months. The tumors continued to grow & I eventually made the decision to euthanize. The virus did not spread to the tankmates. Just keep an eye on him. If things don't heal up soon, then make your decision.

5. Kody GrieveValued MemberMember

cool, thanks for that

6. Kody GrieveValued MemberMember

Thought id just come back and give a final diagnosis. maybe this will help someone else in the future.

I got intouch with my LFS and they thought it was flukes. i needed to change my aquascape around anyway so i make a quarantine tank out of a plastic tote and some tupperware and medicated all my fish with praziquantel i had lying around. the fish with the lump appeared to have a white thing poking out of the lump about 1mm (it kind of looked like the end of a grain of uncooked rice poking out of the lump). It looked like (to me) that the worm/s in the skin were trying to leave the infected site, however i cant be sure that was what was happening as i have no other experience with flukes.

Sadly, the fish died. I dont know what the cause of death was, as the body when i removed it from the quarantine tank seemed to have inflated under the ribcage area (belly looked inflated?) im not sure if this indicates that there were internal worms as well, perhaps that the fish couldn't process once they had died. the fish with the lump was the only fish to have died and none of the other fish bloated in this fashion.

Maybe this might help with someone suffering from the same thing in the future :)