Lump On Comet Goldfish After Moving To A Larger Tank Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BobSmith, Feb 24, 2019.

1. BobSmith New Member Member

I noticed that after moving my goldfish to a larger tank (keeping the gravel and ornaments, in the tank without washing them, as well as all the water, that my fish seems to be more erratic and energetic. I presumed he was hungry but this does not appear to be the case. I then noticed a lump on the one side of his body, otherwise, he looks fine to me. What could this be? Thanks.

I would try and include photos, but he is moving very erratically and these are hard to get.

2. LittleBlueGuppy Well Known Member Member

Could we get a picture? How big is the tank and how big is the tank he was in before? What are your water perimeters like?

P.S. sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a better idea of what's going on.

3. BobSmith New Member Member

Sorry about the late reply. The tank was 20l (I know, way too small), and is now 40l (I will be looking for bigger), the water looks clear and the fishes erratic behavious appears to have calmed down. Here are the best pics I could get. Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. gsong321 Valued Member Member

I couldn't really make out anything there but it's not unusual for gold fish to bang themselves up, especially if they're spawning. That would also account for the erratic behavior but it's most likely stress from being moved. I have 10 large gold fish and just about all seem to have some bumps and battle scars. Especially the poor females that get chased and hit on. If there's no sign of distress I wouldn't be too concerned but constipation can show up as a big bulge near their stomach at their side...then I would watch for swim bladder issues but your fish looks healthy to me. You will most definitely need a bigger tank or pond as gold fish can get 12" long and weight a few pounds and the bigger they get the more waste they make. :)

5. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Could it be a damaged scale ? how did you transfer them from the old tank to the new ?

6. LittleBlueGuppy Well Known Member Member

How long was he/she in the 5 gallon? What are your water perimeters?