Lumens per gallon

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tony, Apr 3, 2010.

1. t

tony Valued Member Member

What amount of lumens per gallon is considered low, medium, and high?

2. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure you're going to find a good answer to this question. If I had to throw out some arbitrary and general numbers, I'd say something within these ranges might be appropriate:

Low: 0-150
    Medium: 150-300
    High: 300+

That said, lumens aren't necessarily the best metric by which to measure light.

3. OP
    OP
    t

Ok. Well feel free to school me on what would be the best way to measure it lol Aquarium lighting confuses me more than anything else regarding my aquarium.

4. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

I don't know that there is a "best way" to measure lighting. Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR) probably gives you the best feel for how much usable light you have, but in truth, the entire subject is too complex to rely on any one variable to tell the entire story.

There are two main problems with using PAR as your guideline:

1. The PAR value is almost exclusively useful as a comparative measurement, rather than an absolute. If you have a PAR reading of 1000mol, that probably means nothing to you or to the vast majority of people. If, however, you use PAR readings to compare two fixtures, you can easily tell which one produces more useful light.
    2. A decent PAR meter is likely to cost upwards of $200+, which is more than most people are willing to spend

It's among the most complicated topics in the hobby, in my opinion, so that's not surprising. It confuses just about everyone at times.

5. OP
    OP
    t

Well thanks for your help. I'm glad I'm not the only one confused

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice