Lucky Little Bugger

Harlequin

Reaction score
So, long story short, I just picked up a 45 gallon tank and the previous owner had just sold all the fish. He was draining the last of the water and had some big anubias grown on ornaments already packed in plastic bags when I arrived.. 3.5 HOURS later and finally home I decided to pop the plants in one of my tanks and suddenly saw this:

ed75f4d86163d5ea6562d4c080096837.jpg

He is still really heavily breathing. I hope he makes it. Only problem is, I bought this tank to house around 150 of this fry:

104d0bc88c6a086496c0b6c2e74ccf7b.jpg

!!!

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gotta love the "little" extras. Usually it's just snails.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That guy is super lucky! I guess you’ll have to rehome him though since your going to keep fry in it?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Will a bristle nose actually eat fry?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d be surprised if they didn’t, there’s been cases where they attack larger fish as well. They may have a harder time hunting, but they’d still do it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guess you learn something new at times. I know they will eat dead fish but never really thought of them as a predator.

Aqua Hands

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
same thing happened to me but my uncle put it in my shrimp 10 gallon and its a 5" pleco. Ugh, of to the lfs it goes.

OP
Harlequin

Harlequin

Reaction score
Oh my dear! I just spent over an hour sorting the situation out:
I had actually put the plant with the hitchhiker IN the tank with the BN fry. The parents are also in there and it has some serious stocking issues anyway. So mother BN had a full blown fight with the newbie. I put hitchhiker in a breeder box with a terracotta plant pot. This was too heavy, fell down and he got free again. Then he squeezed behind the heater and it took some poking to get him back in the breeder box.
Why is fish keeping full of these unforeseen fishmergencies? Especially when you don't need it? It's nearly 2am here now!
I hope he will be alright though. He's now really stressed out. I also noticed he has a quite hollow belly compared to my well fed ones. Do you think he tried to eat some fry and mum threw her toys out of her pram?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Harlequin said:
Oh my dear! I just spent over an hour sorting the situation out:
I had actually put the plant with the hitchhiker IN the tank with the BN fry. The parents are also in there and it has some serious stocking issues anyway. So mother BN had a full blown fight with the newbie. I put hitchhiker in a breeder box with a terracotta plant pot. This was too heavy, fell down and he got free again. Then he squeezed behind the heater and it took some poking to get him back in the breeder box.
Why is fish keeping full of these unforeseen fishmergencies? Especially when you don't need it? It's nearly 2am here now!
I hope he will be alright though. He's now really stressed out. I also noticed he has a quite hollow belly compared to my well fed ones. Do you think he tried to eat some fry and mum threw her toys out of her pram?
Bristlenose will not eat live fish even when starving in my experience, dead and almost dead (no hope) are a different story. give him some good foods and time then rehome.

New Threads