Lucifer's Abyss - Loo's 10 gallon black crowntail's Story

Waterloo

Whoooo new Journal time! *highfives*

So late Wednesday night, my daughter (who was extremely desperate for some kind of pet) and I were heading to the store to look at hermit crabs. Being in a concrete jungle and no close excess to parks or walking areas mixed with single parenthood and a healthcare job with long hours and a long commute, a dog is just not a good pet for us at the moment. So while trying to find alternatives it was suggested to try hermit crabs. I have experience with them and they checked off so many things on our apartment list that it was getting to the point of doing real research on owning a few.

I usually, as of late, been avoiding the fish sections of stores and especially the bettas because their little cups break my heart and make me so upset but I rounded a corner and locked my eyes on a gorgeous black crowntail betta.

Went home and of course...could not stop thinking about him. I had to get him.

Thursday December 2nd I went to get the tank (they were also having a sale on them!) and went to check on the bettas. I was going to try and cycle the tank over the next couple of days but seeing how bad their water got in their cups....I was afraid he was not going to survive. Most of the cups were so foggy you could not see through them. All of the fish were still and barely moving on the bottom of the cups and a couple, really questioned if they were still even alive.

That evening set up the new rock, live plants (amazon sword, a Java fern, and a Malaysian red. will definitely be adding more plants soon but wanted to get him at least started.) Being a 10 gallon I used 10 ML of API Quick Start and 5 ML of Stress Coat. The water at the time was slowly heating up and was the same temperature as his cup so spent the next 30 minutes taking out 10 ml of his water and putting in 10 ML of the tank water every 5 minutes or so. No signs of obvious distress so went ahead an moved him to the tank. It was not the right temperature but seeing how the tank matched the cup I figured he could just warm up slowly with the water. as the heater went to work.

Friday December 3rd
No signs of stress, moved around a bit more then usual. Gave him some pellets (TetraBetta Select) and before I could take more then a few steps away he slurped up 4 or 5 of them. I took this as a VERY good sign but who knows when the last time he was fed at the petstore. He has been staying the majority of the time in the top right and top left of the tank. Hiding behind either the heater or the filter. (I guess I should add that the temperature is reading 79.3 F) Coming home after work that day there are a bit of little betta bubbles on the surface but he still doesn't seem all too interested in interacting or moving around. Tried feeding him again to see if he was interested. Not really sure if he is going to be one that would be interested in food twice or day or one. No interest in food so after 15 minutes or so took the remaining food out. His tank is right on my computer desk so we just kinda hung out. Everytime I looked over and see him moving about he would seem to notice I was looking at him and darted right back up to the top right of the tank.

Saturday December 4th.
Not interested in food and making bubbles in his corner. Figured today is a good day to test the water:

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0.50 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5.0 ppm

Not sure if I should do a small water change or let it be to keep trying to cycle. Assuming the cycle has not really started as there is no nitrites and the nitrates I have are from the Quick Start solution. Thoughts?

Second slight concern is the HOB flow, concerned it may be too high. Aqueon 10 Quiet Flow. Lucifer really isn't exploring too much and trying not to stress out that he isn't. Mix of fish-in cycling, going from a cup to a tank, read that his muscles could be weak at the moment from being in a cup and will eventually get stronger, just a new home and could take a week before he isn't as shy and explores more.

skar

I suggest a sponge filter for a betta and some floating plants. Also a back ground will help the look of your tank.

As for your pet problem, I highly suggest a RAT.
Many colors and personalities, handle a young one. Only downside is that they only live 2-3 years.
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

Lunnietic

Betas can have as much personality as a dog does-- or so I have been told. But they can be incredibly lazy and love to laze around. I would suggest a beta log or leaf for him to rest on, if you put it close to you--once he warms up to you he'll probably "live" on it if you are near the tank. (Or better yet find a really tall aquarium plant that he can rest on).

You are doing a wonderful job.

Rose of Sharon

Beautiful betta!! Congrats!!!

I would recommend that you consider using Prime water conditioner by Seachem. I find it an absolute must when doing a fish in cycle.

If you use Prime, you can follow the over dosing directions, and it will hold the toxicity of that low level ammonia (and nitrites when they appear), and it will hold for about 48 hours.

I would also do a small water change to lower the level of ammonia if you can.

It's just that bettas can be super sensitive to stress, and it sounds like your little boy was already really stressed in that horrible cup! (I hate those things!)

Finally, I would also recommend getting a variety of foods for him. Frozen foods are great - brine shrimp, blood worms, daphnia. Good pellet foods include Omega One betta pellets and Fluval Bug Bites (I use the sinking granules for bettas).

Just some thoughts! I hope this helps!!!! :)

Tigerburp

One thing I like to do is to do flare exercises with my betta, put a stick or mirror in front of him and watch him flare , feed some freeze dried bloodworms if you can

Waterloo

Beautiful betta!! Congrats!!!

I would recommend that you consider using Prime water conditioner by Seachem. I find it an absolute must when doing a fish in cycle.

If you use Prime, you can follow the over dosing directions, and it will hold the toxicity of that low level ammonia (and nitrites when they appear), and it will hold for about 48 hours.

I would also do a small water change to lower the level of ammonia if you can.

It's just that bettas can be super sensitive to stress, and it sounds like your little boy was already really stressed in that horrible cup! (I hate those things!)

Finally, I would also recommend getting a variety of foods for him. Frozen foods are great - brine shrimp, blood worms, daphnia. Good pellet foods include Omega One betta pellets and Fluval Bug Bites (I use the sinking granules for bettas).

Just some thoughts! I hope this helps!!!! :)
Thank you for the food suggestions, I will have to see if I can find another store that has more options or maybe look online. Our store we have here had no selections.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chobin
Replies
Views
fish 321
Replies
Views
dsmike
Replies
Views