Lps Changes How They Keep Betta Fish - Yay!!

ShimmeryLuna

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Since there's a lot of posts in the Betta forum about sick and hurt fish, I thought a more lighthearted and positive post would be a nice change of pace! ( ´ ▽ ` )b

This week, my local pet store changed how they keep their Betta fish! Originally, they were in little carriers attached to the side of the tank that were so tiny they could barely turn around. Plus they were stressed because they were housed within the tanks of non-compatible fish.

Now they each have their own individual tank!
IMG_20190808_152606.jpg

I think it's great that pet stores are starting to catch on more and more that Betta fish can't be in terrible environments. Plus, the Betta fish in these tanks already look healthier! It gives me a lot of hope for the future! (๑꧆◡꧆๑)

Allegra

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Excellent! My LPS has them in tiny partitioned displays but they do have cycled, filtered water continuously running through them. Today when I was there buying blood worms I heard a woman who was buying two of them for her kids saying she was putting them in tiny bowls on her kids desks because "they don't need bigger" and because "in a tank the water gets too cold and they sit on the bottom" I was so disappointed that the staff member didn't bother t correct her or ask her to purchase bigger and tell her they need a heater. She didn't even buy water conditioner I wanted to say something to her but I could tell that it would not go down well.. I can't get banned, it's the only pet store within an hour of me.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Allegra said:
I wanted to say something to her but I could tell that it would not go down well.. I can't get banned, it's the only pet store within an hour of me.
That sucks. I've spoken up a few times at my local chain stores. One time the employee was glad because she didn't know the answer to the customer's question.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Bad advice is just a fact of life. I've learned to accept it, and do my own research.

I'll also point out that many consumers "know" what they want, and can't/won't be advised otherwise. I have a juvinile Anglefish in a 20 gallon tank, to prove that point! I know better.

I've never been a fan of keeping Bettas myself, though l do admire their natural beauty, long flowing fins, etc.

What amazes me, is that so many decades after they were introduced into the fish keeping hobby, and retailers still treat them with so little care.

They aren't throw-aways! I hate over-regulating any industry, but hey, how about this one? Where are all the animal rights groups?

I can't place all the blame on the big box employees. Their primary job is sales, and they usually get little training, but it does look like many are more educated than in the past. It's just a shame that there is still so little regard for these fish. If I may, I'll toss goldfish into this category too.

It's good to see or hear that some stores are coming to see the light

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ive complained numerous times about tbe bettas at walmart, their cups were filled with nasty stuff and they were so unhealthy. I'm happy to report tho (I'm sure not cuz of me) that my walmart no longer sells fish whatsoever! Yay! The torn the tanks out and everythin, and no bettas in cups either. I was very happy

Cherie G

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow that made me so happy to see! Maybe change is coming, too slow for us but maybe...The only place I have ever seen bettas not kept in those terrible little cups is my LFS. She keeps some in aquariums and a couple in large bowls.

CheshireKat

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JamieLu said:
I'm happy to report tho (I'm sure not cuz of me) that my walmart no longer sells fish whatsoever!
Walmarts across the country have been getting rid of their fish department. (Not all of them, mind you, but many.) Mine already didn't have one; not sure if they ever did since moved here last year, but I was surprised. First Walmart I've ever been to without fish. Although I'm glad, since it's rather weird, thinking about it now, for a department store to have live animals for sale, and employees likely with no fish education or training taking care of live creatures...on the other hand, that was one of my favorite parts of Walmart as a kid (aside from the book and computer game sections), since it made following my mom around in her shopping worth it by the time we reached the fish! I got many a betta there and it's what got me into the hobby.

JamieLu

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CheshireKat said:
Walmarts across the country have been getting rid of their fish department. (Not all of them, mind you, but many.) Mine already didn't have one; not sure if they ever did since moved here last year, but I was surprised. First Walmart I've ever been to without fish. Although I'm glad, since it's rather weird, thinking about it now, for a department store to have live animals for sale, and employees likely with no fish education or training taking care of live creatures...on the other hand, that was one of my favorite parts of Walmart as a kid (aside from the book and computer game sections), since it made following my mom around in her shopping worth it by the time we reached the fish! I got many a betta there and it's what got me into the hobby.
Well that's great news! They have no business selling fish. That's also how I got started, I lived behind walmart along time ago and "rescued" many many fish, including bettas. My son is 3 and he always wanted to go see the fish at walmart, which I didnt want to do since I'm always tempted to get some more...

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Our Walmart has stopped selling them as well. Now it's a boarded up wall that might have held 3x3 or 3x2 small 15 or 20 gallon tanks at most. Good riddance, I say. I always liked looking, but never bought from them myself.

We have two LFS and one caters more to reptiles and didn't look very appealing while the other is more saltwater oriented though the staff seems to know whet they're talking about. That leaves 2 PetSmarts and one Petco. Both big boxs appear to have a dedicated "fish" team and they are all well kept and the staff aren't a bunch of zit-faced kids, so that's a good thing. No goldfish in pint bowls and a few bettas in the small bowls but most were in larger 2 or 3 gallon tanks.

Greengirl87

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I understand that walmart didn't take very good care of their fish, especially their bettas. Well, some of them. It is just like with any store, some employees care and some don't. But walmart was the only place in my town to get fish. I mean, there is a small pet store, but they only have bettas. So now if I want anything besides a betta, the closest place is a petco 75 miles away. It really sucks.

Don't get me wrong, the walmart betta situation was the absolute worst. And while many employees didn't know much about the other fish, at least they were in tanks with filters, constantly getting clean water.

I just wish walmart as a company would have done something to change/better the fish department situation, rather than do away with it all together. Like the little pet store went from keeping their bettas in the tiny cups to much larger ones. Idk how much of a difference that small change actually makes. But it shows a willingness to improve.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So happy to see a great story with hope "You do better when you know better" . Unfortunately my local petco have not changed their awful practices of keeping betta in those stupid little containers. I think if the stores took the initiatives to show they care, people might get it, that they need to be properly cared for fish. Not for vases at weddings, uhh I hate that!

BevM

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My Walmart also did away with the fish department and I was glad to see it go. It was pitiful and it was hard to get any help in that department. The Bettas are better off in another store since they didn't appear to be taken care of at Walmart. My PetSmart hasn't changed the way they keep Bettas in small cups but they do change the water frequently.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They should keep them like I do. Just dump them all together.

FightingFishWorld

Reaction score
I hate to see this species locked in so tiny places. I think that both store owners and employees are responsible of how people treat this fish at their homes. Not only because of the small tank where they are contained at the store but also because the employees are not advising enough. I live in Poland and I started buying from a specialized Betta fish breeder because of this reason. They take the life of this fish seriously, offering tutorials and guides to new joiners so they take care correctly of their Bettas.

H2O Concierge

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At that price those must be some special breeds. I would pay more for a fish knowing that it had a good environment prior to my purchase. I can't remember ever keeping Bettas before, but I have done a fair amount of research. I guess it's just that they are such a solitary fish that they didn't fit into the scheme of any of my tanks. Maybe some day.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good eye H2O, I didn't realize they were all in the double digits for price. Maybe they needed to be marked up to afford the new (amazing) setup they have or something lol

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
Good eye H2O, I didn't realize they were all in the double digits for price. Maybe they needed to be marked up to afford the new (amazing) setup they have or something lol
Looks like the setups and prices over here. (Canada)

kmorse

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
We have 2 Walmart stores close by. One has a fish department that is disturbing and the other has one that is clearly tended by a fish lover. It's meager, but the tanks are very clean and well cared for. You can hardly see into the tanks at the other store, the glass is so covered in crud.

I haven't seen great betta digs like this anywhere near me, but some of the stores are at least cycling clean water through their little tubs all day, which is a step up.

New Threads