Lowest lighting needed for plants?? - T5 vs T5HO ?

bowen747x

I will be setting up a 55 gallon long soon and I don't want a light that's too bright as it will sit in our apartment living room, but I would like to have a decent amount of plants. I am not looking for a heavy amount of plants, just mostly to fill the corners and some of the back, as I have a nice big rock/cave decoration, driftwood and some other stuff too. I will be sticking to the obvious low light beginner plants, mostly java fern and annubias

I was looking at buying the Odyssea 2 bulb T5HO 48" - I like what I have seen from this light, comes with 2x 54watt 6500k bulbs!! but I am wondering if this light gets hot?

I also saw a 2bulb T5 that was not HO, but the price was higher I have a hard time finding exactly what I'm looking for with lights... I feel like the HO is more then I really want, does HO mean more heat and more electricity then a T5 without HO? Would running 2x39watt be enough? Or is it possible to use non-HO bulbs in a HO fixture??

x

Jim

T5HO are hotter and use more power than T5NO. 55s are about 20 inches deep and with 3 inches of substrate you should be able to use T5NO. May I recommend the following light for a low light tank:

bowen747x

Thank you very much for the info and links I didn't know where to look for this... not too sure if I like the Fugeray but it sure looks nice! will it be worth the extra cost for LED? can you replace LED if they go out, or is the thing shot if a section of them die? and how is it on heat

Jim

LEDs = very little, if any heat. The Fugeray Planted+ is brighter than the Current Satellite + . The benefit of the Satellite+ comes with a remote control that can lower the light and a lot of other things such as clouds! storms! etc. I have one and NEVER use those options other than the raising and lowering the brightness. IMO, the Satellite is a wee bit brighter than the Coralite dual bulb t5NO.

bowen747x

o after reading about the Satellite I am pretty blown away, I really like the idea of the remote and dimmer functions... thanks for explaining that for me

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheMysticWizard
Replies
Views
Cody
29 Gallon Tank New to lighting
Replies
Views
86 ssinit