Lowering Ph

Discussion in 'pH' started by boate1997, Apr 22, 2017.

1. boate1997

boate1997Valued MemberMember

I am having a problem with getting my ph lower gor softer water species. My water is at 8.5 or higher its hard to tell with test stripes. My lsf tested it and came up with the same results and he was shocked. I am looking into an rodi system but that is a costly solution that will take some saving for. Is there a quick fix that i can dose to help my high ph.

I figure its worth mentioning i am on a well with a water softener.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Do you know your KH?

3. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

I have the same issue with a ph of 8.4! What fish do you have? most fish are able to adapt to higher ph, so it shouldn't be a problem.
    However, driftwood, almond leaves, etc anything that releases tannis should lower your ph a bit, though probably not enough to get it to 7.0 unless you add A LOT of driftwood.

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

If you have a really high KH you could add 50 pounds of driftwood and your ph would barely move.

5. EternalDancer

EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

How big is your tank?

You could buy distilled water and do a 50/50 mix for your changes, but in a big tank that's gonna get expensive quick.

6. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918Well Known MemberMember

The well water and softener system is important information.

On your strips, so you have pads that have Alkalinity and Hardness on them? If not, you might want to purchase a KH/GH test kit. KH is Carbonated Hardness, your Bicarbonates. Those control your PH. GH is your General Hardness, the rest of the minerals in your water like Calcium and magnesium. Knowing those, especially with well water and a water softener system is important to know.

How deep is your well? Is it into Limestone? Please check into that.

Here is my hypothesis, and I hope I can explain it well enough. Since your PH is at 8.5, I can assume your well is deep enough to be in limestone. Limestone has a natural ph of 8.4 to 8.8 which with enough kh release from the limestone, it will never lower from that naturally. With your water softener, your gh should be extremely low, and I'm guessing at 0, and if your lucky 1 or 2 degrees of general hardness. The salt pellets in a softening system will erode away the minerals in your water, and add sodium. A lower gh for soft water fish is good, but the sodium is not. Also, with a 0 gh, most fish can not live in that. Their bodies will starve for minerals and interrupt their osmotic process. I recommend no lower then 1dGH for the most soft water fish, 2 to 3 hardness average.

Recommendations, it will be very hard to give any until we know the size of tank, what you are stocking with in your tank, your actual kh and gh, and if you are in limestone in your well. It also helps to know if your well naturally refills or if you truck in water.

7. OP
    OP
    boate1997

The fisg i am stocking is a african butterfly fish. The tank size is a 20L for quarantine and grow out. I will find kh and gh later today. Our well in naturally regilling and it is in limestone or alt least a layer with high limestone in it.

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't worry about the pH unless you are getting wild-caught fish or something like that.....

9. Dragones5150918

Butterfly fish need hard water. Kh can go up to 10 degrees, gh between 5 and 10 degrees. Optimal ph 6.5 to 7.5, but can live easily up to 8.0. Slow current of water, but needs to be pristine water. Condition of water is highly important. 20l tank is way to small and needs to be minimum of 80l. Good quality filter that does 10X the GPH, so needs one that does 300 GPH turn over.

After you check your gh and kh, we can help you with your ph if need be.

10. OP
    OP
    boate1997

I think you miss understood the tank size i have a 20 gallon. The L was for long not liters

11. Dragones5150918

Oh. Sorry. If the foot print of the 20 long is the same as a 30g, just not as high, then it will work, otherwise you need a 30g. Also a very good lid. They are jumpers. I lost a few because of that.

12. OP
    OP
    boate1997

Im making a little cage lid because they only feed at the surface