Lowering PH

Patchspud

HI All. I'll get to the point as this is an emergency. My platy tank suddenly adjusted it's own PH from a perfect 7.5 right down to 5.0!!!!!!!

I am doing daily water changes at the moment (past 2 days) but I can't think of anything else to do.

I did use a whit spot treatment a my Clown Loaches developed a touch of it. The wite spot has cleared but the water is disaterous.

Can anyone help????

Butterfly

What size is the tank the platys are in? How long has it been set up? Have you added or taken any decor out? How are you testing your Ph? Are teh clown Loaches in the same tank as the Platys? Sorry for all the questions but it will help up figure out what's going on.
Carol

Patchspud

Ph

Thanks for your quick response.

The tank is a 21 gallon tank. No decor has been changed/replaced as well as the filters.

The clown loach is in the same tank (there were 2)

The tank has been established since February and I have had no problems. Even breeding platy's on a regular basis.

I used 'Interpet AntI Whitespot Plus' for the whitespot as directed on the bottle.

I am testing using a Nutrafin testing kit. Doing this twice daily at the moment.

Thank you

Butterfly

First, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your tank is way over stocked. The platys alone at adult size would overstock it. The clown loaches really tip it over(they can get to be 12 inches)
I'm not familiar with Interpet AntI Whitespot Plus so don't know if it can affect your Ph or not.
Are you using the Nutrafin strips to test with or the liquid testing reagents ? What is your water change and substrate vacuum schedule?
Carol

Patchspud

PH

The tank is different to my tank list now. There are only 12 adult platy's and one clown loach now.

I change the water 20% per week usually but I am now doing 50% daily.

I have no trouble with any of my tanks usually and I have used Interpet products for many years. It is the top brand in the UK

Butterfly

I don't live in the Uk so I guess that's why I don't have any experience with interpet products LOL
Are your testing supplies strips or liquid? Are you checking Ph right after a water change? to get a good reading you need to wait 24hours. you can also check the ph of your water by running a glass f water, letting it set 24 hrs and then test the water in the glass.
What are your other water test readings ? ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates? Their readings can affect your ph also.
Carol

Patchspud

ph

Nitrite 0.2 ammonia 0 so no probs with ammonia but slight nitrate problem also. This has just developed cause it was clear last night.

Testing with liquid added to sample of water.

I have been checking ph before and after water change I have not waited 24 hours maybe 18 or so. Doing check in am at breakfast then doing water change about 18:00 (due to work) then testing in AM again.

Butterfly

cool, thanks for the fast answers. Liqiud is the best and most reliable testing method
If your Nitrites are up then not long ago you had an ammonia problem. I have read that a raised ammonia level can cause a ph drop.
Ammonia---> Nitrites ---> Nitrates You want Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates can be as high as 20 without a problem.
Even with 12 platys and the one Clown loach you are heavily overstocked.
Carol

Patchspud

PH

Thanks for the help. I dissapeared cause I went to my LFS and they gave me two great big bags of perfect water to do a chage in and it worked. PH nearly normal now and no other problems. Fish have perked up greatly and one even had babies last night so all is well again.

Thanks again Carol.

Top Bottom