Lowering Ph For Wild Betta

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I’ve been looking into getting a wild betta hybrid, unfortunately the breeder says that they got the pair(that mine will be from) and doesn’t know the species that hybridinised. They are still beautiful and I’d like one, but not knowing the species does constrict me a bit. My ph is right around 7 and most wilds need around 6, so I’ve got to get it down. I will be using IAL, but would prefer another way to get the ph down as I feel like using this method alone could cause the ph to swing to much. I was considering just using bottled water as the tank will be no more than 10g and likely 5g, but have never done so before so I’d like to hear some input on how to select the water/if it’s a good idea to begin with.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It’s a hybridinisation between two compatible betta species. Like sometimes you’ll see b. Imbellis and b. Splendens hybridinised.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK but wild caught ?
Platylover said:
It’s a hybridinisation between two compatible betta species. Like sometimes you’ll see b. Imbellis and b. Splendens hybridinised.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, but I’ve heard that any chemical type things used to lower ph can be pretty dangerous. That’s why I’m serisouly considering the bottled water. Thanks for the idea though!

Dutch-
I’m not certain if the orignal pair was wild caught or not, I’d assume the pairs parents were though to be able to breed the two species together and make the hybrid. I can ask the seller, but I don’t believe their breeder will know whether or not they were since he doesn’t know the exact species. To me it looks like there may be some imbellis in them, but I will be contacting some Betta breeders and seeing if they have any idea the species hybridinised at some point.

Mazeus-
That’s an idea... I’ll have to look into that as I don’t want to get any of the wild grown pest as I’ve heard the process of getting it isn’t very good for the environment. Thank you!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hahaha just what I said about chemicals.

Okay but only asked cause you called it "wild" which I'd thought strange for a hybrid.
I understand !
Platylover said:
Yeah, but I’ve heard that any chemical type things used to lower ph can be pretty dangerous. That’s why I’m serisouly considering the bottled water. Thanks for the idea though!

Dutch-
I’m not certain if the orignal pair was wild caught or not, I’d assume the pairs parents were though to be able to breed the two species together and make the hybrid. I can ask the seller, but I don’t believe their breeder will know whether or not they were since he doesn’t know the exact species. To me it looks like there may be some imbellis in them, but I will be contacting some Betta breeders and seeing if they have any idea the species hybridinised at some point.

Mazeus-
That’s an idea... I’ll have to look into that as I don’t want to get any of the wild grown pest as I’ve heard the process of getting it isn’t very good for the environment. Thank you!

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You'll want to check your KH first, if it's really high you'll have a hard time bringing the ph down no matter what.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Those look good, I’ll look into getting them.

Shoot... I didn’t really think about that. I do have that test somewhere around here. I’ll look for it and see if I can get the KH here soon.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The peat mentioned by Mazeus is perfrct stuff to do that to. Advantage is you v
can start with a small amount of peat in your filter and gradually lower Ph that way.
BobNJerry said:
most natural way to lower your PH is to add Tanins to your water - alder cones, almond leaf, drift wood.

Betta's love their tanins!

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
The peat mentioned by Mazeus is perfrct stuff to do that to. Advantage is you v
can start with a small amount of peat in your filter and gradually lower Ph that way.
Yes! so true.. i just recently learned the benefits of Peat moss.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't bother lowering Ph, this is when it can get dangerous. Just keep the Ph stable. I've kept wild bettas and discus for years in high Ph water and they've been fine. Only when levels vary can it get dangerous.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, so surprise surprise I couldn’t find the kh/gh kit, but I did test my ph in another tank that has IAL and driftwood in it and the ph is closer to 6.6, so I think that my ph can be lowered easily enough. Hopefully I can still get my exact KH... but that isn’t very likely to happen to be honest.

DutchAq-
What type did you keep if you don’t mind me asking? I thought that keeping fish in to high of a ph could shorten their lifespan? I’d love to be able to just use IAL but really want to make sure that keeping you them in a ph less adcidic than normal would be healthy as I don’t think IAL alone will be able to lower it that much, or at least at the increments I’m able to use.
The levels shouldn’t be changing to much though as I should have the ph where I want it by the time he gets here(towards the end of the month) and at that point I think I’d just need to primarily keep the same amount of ph reducing things in it.
Thanks for the advice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom