Lowering my tank PH

ARay9120

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay so I have had my tank for almost 2 years now, but did not have a ph test kit until recently. I never adjusted my ph and just felt that my fish should be able to adapt to whatever my tap water is as long as it is consistent.

Now, after buying a ph reading test kit, I have found out that my tap water has a rather high ph of 8.1. I have had pretty good luck as far as having healthy fish are concerned but I am wondering if this is not ideal and if I should lower it to at least like 7.9. I have a tank with cherry and gold barbs.

Also if I do lower it, should I just use a ph down chemical or look into a natural way to lower it. Which is better, more convenient, and more reliable?

Claire Bear

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi ARay9120. IMO, I would not mess with ph. It is better to have stable ph then low. If you start trying to lower the ph, everything I have read says you will run into issues. There are some fish that must have soft water but they are few and even those can adjust-they just might not breed, etc.
If you decide to lower the ph, you might try natural as it would be better than chemical alterations.
However, if it were me, I would leave well enough alone. Others may have a differing opinion. Good luck!

Jim Ng

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feel that a constant ph level is more important than a ideal ph level.Sudden ph swing will stress your fish and in worse case, kills them. After doing some read up, Barbs recommended pH range: 6.0 – 8.0. But since yours has been adapted to your tank for almost 2 years, i think it should be left alone. If your fish is happy, no reason to mess with the readings. If you really intend to lower it, i will suggest the natural way

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Agreed with others that 8.1 should be fine for your fish. pH is going to naturally drop over time. A good safe range for most fish for the home aquarium is 6.5 to 8.5. I keep my tanks at 8.0.

starhanging.gif I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Water/pH section of the forum.

starhanging.gif Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken

S05468

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The PH in my tanks is 8.2. I have tried in the past to lower my PH. It was stressful on the fish and stressful on me. I would recommend not messing around with it.

If you are planning on adding fish than you should consider the PH, will they do okay in a high PH. I have had the most success with bloodfin tetras, neons, corydoras sterbai, bettas, and I have recently added long finned zebra danios and a bristlenose pleco to my tank and so far they are doing well. I have not had any success with german blue rams, bovilian rams, or the couple gouramis I have purchased in the past. I do have nerite snails in my tank but I have lost about half of the ones I originally purchased about a year ago.

If you do add fish acclimate them slow to their new water. Depending on the fish it will take 1-2 hrs.

Teleost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with all the above.

Unless you're attempting to breed fish that need a low pH, you're just going to make things difficult for yourself and stressful for your fish. If they've been happy for the past two years, don't worry about it. There are ways to lower your pH safely and naturally, but it's a lot of work and once you start, you'll have to keep doing it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jelly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
As everyone else has stated, it is better to have a stable pH than to try to adjust it unless you have a strong reason for needing to do so based on your breeding goals/species. In your case, this doesn't seem to be necessary.

However, to answer your question about the best way to safely lower pH, I recommend against chemicals. You will be fighting a constant battle and your fish will suffer from constantly fluctuating chemistry.

The natural method of lowering pH is to add acid to your water from organic sources. Tanic acid is found in wood, leaves, and peat. Indian Almond leaves, peat moss, and fresh wood like Mopani will all leach tanic acid into your water. This is a slow, steady, and more stable process than trying to adjust your pH with chemicals.

I just want to reiterate that I don't think you need to do any of this and trying to may do more harm than good.

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your fish are thriving, why change anything, as all the above posts have said. The fish are maybe telling you something here, simply by thriving in the water that they are accustomed to, sort of like, Teachers, Leave our pH alone-rick

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ill say it too. "Dont do it".

but in all seriousness your ph is fine for your fish changing the ph is liable to kll them

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom