Lower pH of hard water?

Jragan23

So I spent 15 bucks on the API pH kit thing yesterday. I need to lower my pH, but we have really hard water where I live. Would I be wasting my time and money trying to lower it that way? I heard hard water kind of thing prevents you from lowering the pH.

awilkinson871

What is your Ph, Kh, Gh readings? Also why do you want to lower the Ph? Are you trying for a specific fish or just because you think you should?

Upvote 0

A201

It's best to live with your area tap water rather than trying to chemically alter its parameters. In most cases the water chemistry change is very temporary & a sharp rebound occurs.
My area tap is hard & has a constant PH of 8.2. I've had no problems keeping numerous varieties of Tetras, even Discus in it.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

So I spent 15 bucks on the API pH kit thing yesterday. I need to lower my pH, but we have really hard water where I live. Would I be wasting my time and money trying to lower it that way? I heard hard water kind of thing prevents you from lowering the pH.
Couple paths if this is really the plan. You have to remove the KH from the water, to lower the pH.

1) Buy an RO filter and reasonably sized aging barrel and use a mix of tap and RO water to create the desired water.

2) Buy a reasonably sized aging barrel, and use muriatic acid to remove the KH.

Both methods will require some pretty diligent testing in the beginning, and you'll probably end up dumping a bunch of water down the drain until you get it right.

Upvote 0

Jragan23

What is your Ph, Kh, Gh readings? Also why do you want to lower the Ph? Are you trying for a specific fish or just because you think you should?
My pH is about 8-8.2. I want to get rams soon and I know they like lower pH so that was my thought process. I don’t know the actual hardness because I just have the normal API test kit, but when the fish store tested it all they said was that it was pretty hard ‍♂️ So I don’t know the exact hardness or anything.
It's best to live with your area tap water rather than trying to chemically alter its parameters. In most cases the water chemistry change is very temporary & a sharp rebound occurs.
My area tap is hard & has a constant PH of 8.2. I've had no problems keeping numerous varieties of Tetras, even Discus in it.
ok that is good to hear! That would be so much easier! I didn’t know if they’d be ok but what you’re saying makes sense. Thanks!
My pH is about 8-8.2. I want to get rams soon and I know they like lower pH so that was my thought process. I don’t know the actual hardness because I just have the normal API test kit, but when the fish store tested it all they said was that it was pretty hard ‍♂ So I don’t know the exact hardness or anything.

ok that is good to hear! That would be so much easier! I didn’t know if they’d be ok but what you’re saying makes sense. Thanks!
I don’t know why that random symbol was in there haha

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Kwaters20
  • pH
Replies
Views
Kwaters20
Replies
Views
Jennie2021