Lower Ph In Liquid Ammonia Fishless Cycling? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Librarian, Jun 16, 2019.

1. LibrarianValued MemberMember

Hi everyone,

We've started our fishless cycle by adding 2.5 mL of the Ace hardware liquid ammonia yesterday and added TSS just to see if it helps. We have seeded 2 cups of sand from our cycled aquarium Today our numbers are ammonia 2.5, nitrate 0, nitrate 2.5 and pH 8.3. House tap pH is 6.8. Temp in the aquarium is 83 degrees.
    Today we put in 2 mL of ammonia. Unfortunately, I did not test for pH in the tank yesterday before beginning.

Should I add the shells we use to lower the pH?
    Please advise for dosing the liquid ammonia, too.

Thanks so much!!

2. Lcas1Valued MemberMember

I am just going through the process myself u should be dosing tank to 2- 4ppm with the ammonia u dont want ur ph to go to low as apparently it can stall the cycle. I am no expert but that is what I have been told by people on this forum I am sure they will correct me if I am wrong hope this helps a bit

3. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

your pH is fine for cycling. just depends on the fish that you plan to stock, some don't like high pH hard water.

generally you dose 4ppm ammonia, once you get nitrites you can lower to 2ppm. once ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 you're cycled.

4. ForceTenValued MemberMember

Not to interfere with this thread, I too am cycling my existing tank. Long story short I lost all my fish due to a major cycle I caused several weeks ago. Tank is empty of decorations except brand new gravel. It has 1/2 the water from before the crash and the filter was lightly rinsed (dumb move on my part) then as well.
    So there is some seeded material present.

My ammonia is at 0.25 - 0.50. I know this is low for the cycle and have been using fish food as my ammonia source. I have some pure ammonia.
    Should I use some of this pure liquid ammonia? How much should I add and what PPM should I look for? 20 gallon tank.
    The other readings are 6.4 PH. And Zero nitrites and nitrates.
    Thanks and OP I hope this question helps you in some way as well.....John

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

ppm is the same for any sized tank, 4ppm to start, then 2ppm after you start getting nitrites.

@ForceTen since your pH is lower than 7.0 keep an eye on the pH. get the api GH/KH test its only about $5-$6 on ebay.

6. ForceTenValued MemberMember

Thanks for responding.
    I wanted to know how much ammonia to add?
    I ended up adding 1 ML. I found a drop to ML conversion chart. I read 1 drop per gallon of tank water.
    Yea. I need GH/KH test. I thought the API MASTER test kit had everything. I was wrong.
    I’m going to check ammonia tomorrow and see if I added enough.
    Thanks again ..........John