Lower ph for these plants

SouthAmericanCichlids

So I currently have the following plants: Anubias coin leaf, bacopa, vallisneria, guppy grass, dwarf aquarium lily, wendetii crypt, Parva crypt, crypt lutea, and Alternanthera reineckii. And I will be moving to a house with an RO D-I unit, can all these plants live in a ph of 6.8, if not, can they live in 7.5? (That's the tap water ph at the new house)

Rye3434

You should be fine as long as they aren't getting mineral deficiencies (calcium and magnesium). You will have to remineralize with something like seachem equilibrium. Aquasoil brings pH down to like 6.4 and plants thrive in it

SouthAmericanCichlids

You should be fine as long as they aren't getting mineral deficiencies (calcium and magnesium). You will have to remineralize with something like seachem equilibrium. Aquasoil brings pH down to like 6.4 and plants thrive in it
yeah, I will be taking the RO D-I water (~5 ph) and mixing it with the house's water (~7.5) to create, preferably, ~6.8 ph.

Mudminnow

Most aquarium plants prefer water that is more on the acidic side. So, yes, they will love a pH of 6.8.

The only one you have there that may like water a bit more on the basic side is the vallisneria. But, vals are adaptable, so it should be just fine too.

That being said, none of the plants you mentioned are all that difficult to grow. So, they should be happy in a pH of 7.5 as well.

GlennO

Mixing in RO water might be an unnecessary complication unless there's another reason for it such as reducing GH, accommodating particular fish species etc.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Mixing in RO water might be an unnecessary complication unless there's another reason for it such as reducing GH, accommodating particular fish species etc.
Well, I have a lot of South American fish, and I know they can live in higher ph, as they do, but I want to get better colors out of them, and I think I could get a lot better colors (Like those I see online of my fish) on them.

GlennO

Well, I have a lot of South American fish, and I know they can live in higher ph, as they do, but I want to get better colors out of them, and I think I could get a lot better colors (Like those I see online of my fish) on them.
There a lot of SA fish so it depends on the species but a pH of 7.5 would be fine for many. Do you know what the tap water GH is? That should be factored in as well.

SouthAmericanCichlids

There a lot of SA fish so it depends on the species but a pH of 7.5 would be fine for many. Do you know what the tap water GH is? That should be factored in as well.
No, I have not moved there yet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
Ashley45