Low To Medium Tank Lighting On A Budget

1. Fishoholic23

Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +95
    I had a low maintenance planted tank in the past but I am planning on getting a decent light for my 20 gallon to replace the hood light that came with the tank. I will be using a versa-top hood if that helps at all. For purpose I think low to medium light will do fine, and I am working on a small budget so th e cheaper the better. Any help is appreciated!

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,706
    Some cheap LED strips should suffice. How deep is the tank?

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +7,165
    Here's my low budget high output plant light. ae6b2b2f14937dea171e4bc468376c14.jpg

4. Retro

Retro Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Aquaneat multicolor led on ebay for <$35. Comes in many sizes with adjustable brackets for prefect fit. Ive had mine for over a years, all leds still works and it grows/sustains plants very well. Even has a night mode thats just the blue leds, very cool, any florescent decor glows. Just as good as the $100-200 name brand ones you see at petsmartco.

5. OP
    OP
    Fishoholic23

Ratings:
    +95
    Around 16 inches high/deep.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking into it as an option and I'm thinking that its one of my favorite choices yet.

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +1,706
    I am growing Wisteria, Amazon Swords and Jungle Val with just about 2700 lumens in the form of LED strips on a 18 inch deep tank, they are doing fine. Someone will come out and tell me lumens are not a good method of measuring light... I know that but I wont buy a PAR sensor just to find out how much PAR they are getting lol.

7. barandemir09

barandemir09 Member Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Chihiros a series leds are good, but they get hot. They are pretty much the same as the ADA lights but only around $40 aud... idk how much that's in usd lol. Just search on eBay

Oh and you get around 100-115 par on a 12 inch deep tank

8. OP
    OP
    Fishoholic23

Ratings:
    +95
    Update to all: I'm going with the Aquaneat LED fixture, because I am terrible at DIY jobs, and cannot find a Chihiros light that is 24 inches. Thanks for all the support guys!

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,567
    You don't need to even work hard to do a DIY light. Buy a clamp light, buy a plant-friendly bulb, screw bulb in, place on glass, turn on. Cheaper than the cheap LED fixtures, and often better for plants.

10. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +2,682
    If you haven't purchased it yet, it's the chihiros a601 for a 20. (Tall, not long)