Low Tech Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 1BGM1, Apr 9, 2017.

1. 1

1BGM1 New Member Member

Hi all, I'm sure this topic has been brought up many times but I am looking to start planting my tank in a few weeks, I've learned the hard way about the nitrogen cycle, LFS told me that a week was enough time for the tank to cycle and that adding fish would be fine, so grabbed a whole bunch of tetras, corys, danios and angels, angels have been dying 1x1 but the cycle is just about finished. So my question is, I want to plant soon, are there any plants that I can just throw in and they'll grow or do I need to replace some of the substrate with plantable substrate? I have a marineland 38 gallon bow front kit which came with the (probably low kelvin) hidden led system and a biowheel 200 HOB, recently added in a Cobalt EXT canister along side the HOB. Are there plants that I can use on a low light, no co2, minimal substrate change? I've been checking many forums and sites looking for information but it's very difficult to find something including all three parameters. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP

1BGM1 New Member Member

So what would you suggest in a decent cost lighting system, preferably low wattage led, im not sure how the plant systems work all that much, I've done some research but like I said I can't find info on everything I'm looking for

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

5. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Finnex Stingray if you want stay low light, but Finnex Planted Plus if you want to go into the low-medium range. Finnex makes quality stuff, you can buy a $5 timer and you now have a fully programmable, awesome, plant-friendly light. Amazon or Ebay, usually has low prices on them. Also, here is a link to an article I put together on getting started with plants, it should help...

How To Set Up a Low Light Low Tech Planted Tank

Edit - Looks like Anders beat me to posting, haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice