Low Tech Planting/ Light Upgrade/ Plants?

HappyCorvid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am thinking of upgrading the light in my 15 gallon column tank. I have some extra led strips that would fit inside the covered part of the hood. It came with one compact fluorescent tube. I can easily install 3 of the led strips. (I have extra from a different project)

XG-LED 12in Dimmable LED Under Cabinet Lighting, 18W 5000K Daylight 1600LM, Clear Cover Led Strips,11key Remote Control,6Pack

The tank is 24 inches tall.

I was going to use easy stuff like anubias, java fern and Java Moss. I plan on covering some driftwood with plants and stocking with shrimp and micro Rasboras.

I was just going to supplement with fake plants and put a thin layer of black sand or gravel at the bottom.

I love hair grass. I’ve never done any other live plants than what is listed above. I don’t want to mess with co2., but would be happy to consider a different substrate.

The tank came with a weak hob filter and I was planning on adding a sponge filter.

Is it worth changing substrate and lighting? Any other suggestions for plants? The foot print is about 14x14. I have leak tested it, but it’s an empty blank canvas currently.

Thanks!!!

Hayleycox

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
all the plants you mentioned will grow in low light and no co2 the hair grass would struggle in that but it would survive. adding lights wouldnt hurt and adding a sponge filter is always a good idea in my opinion I love them. The substrate is also fine for all the plants listed you could even do like Val. or bolbitis ( sp?) plants .

OP
HappyCorvid

HappyCorvid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you! Both sound great!

Maybe I will attach Java Moss onto a flat-ish rock for the bottom to simulate grass.

I’m excited to have a tank again! It will brighten a dark spot.

Hayleycox

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 36 gallon bowfront that has a huge pc of slate covered in java moss.. Looks like a grass hill I love it.. Great idea.