1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Low Tech Planted Tank With A Sump

1. a

angelfishguppie Valued Member Member

We picked up the 72 gal Bowfront today. It was a saltwater set up in its previous home, drilled with weir to drain into a 20 high sump.

The question of the day is what should I do with the sump?

I'm reading about trickle filters and see that there is some controversy about using them in planted tanks (removes the CO2).

Furthermore, I think it will be quieter if I keep the pipe from the weir submerged. It has a filter sock, is that enough mechanical filtration? I could also DIY a container to hold filter floss below the outlet pipe.

Any thoughts or advice?

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I have a sump on my 110g planted tank and just run the co2 24/7 do deal with any gassing of. A filter sock wont be enough mechanical filtration and i wouldnt ise one if your fish are small enough to fit in the down pipe. Im fishing fish and shrimp out of my filter every few days.

How many compartments does you sump have

Advertisement

3. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

All of my tanks are on sumps. I highly recommend sumps. The trickle tower does not remove co2. That is someone being an idiot and saying something chemically wrong. A DIY trickle tower can house floss in the first drawer and bio media and mechanical in subsequent drawers.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    a

Just one compartment, I was speechless when I saw it. Just the filter sock and a protein skimmer.

I'm still just low tech for plants: A tank busting Amazon sword, a variety of anubias and java fern is mostly what I have.

5. OP
    OP
    a

I'm looking at a video cutting two 5 gallon buckets to make a trickle tower I think I will need smalet buckets but seems like it would hold sufficient floss for mechanical filtration. Maybe I can find a drawer unit that would fit...

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

I would divide the sump into 3 or 4 compartments before doing anythin with it.

My 1st just has a thick coarse sponge on the bottom that doubles as stopping fish and shrimp from going further into the sump and mechinical filtration.

2nd and 3rd is filter floss covering ceremic rings and tubes.

4th is the return pump and purigen as well as the heater in winter.

7. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

8. OP
    OP
    a

I can work that out, I think. I can do course sponge then filter floss in the DIY bucket/plastic drawer unit deal. I currently have ceramic media in media bags that will relocate to the sump. May just fill all the bags I own and put them in the pump area (outside of the DIY filter).

I am working on a one trip to the hardware store, one evening DIY kind of schedule.

I need to get this set up pretty quickly. My fish are currently living in a tank with a broken cross brace and I'm living an hour away.

9. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

That is not correct. By its shear nature, a trickle tower will aerate water. Aeration eliminates co2.

10. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Aeration does not remove CO2. Off gassing as a by product of the strainer grate is what removes the CO2. You could also use a bubble skirt. Regardless the trickletower will not have an adverse effect on a planted aquarium. If you really are feeling froggy you can have a co2 injection system in your tank but that is something best approached with study.