1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Low Tech Planted Nano Tanks

1. rae650

rae650 New Member Member

I need some inspiration! Please post yours below so I can see what's possible and include the lighting you use.

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I have a journal for my fluval spec III, the scape is no longer active but I documented how everything went. Lighting is the spec stock lighting, which is one of the few stock lights suitable for plants.
    Aquascaping The Fluval Spec 3 - Progress

I also did a blackwater aquascape which is more lightly planted, but still technically low tech. Lighting is the Ikea Jansjo LED, which is pretty meh to be honest, I only got it for the low color temperature because it's blackwater :dead:
    Link in my signature

The other tank in my signature is not low tech because I have DIY CO2 going but it could easily be low tech without the CO2.

Advertisement

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Attached Files:

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    rae650

rae650 New Member Member

Looking for suggestions for plants that look good in smaller tanks. Any pictures would be great. :)

5. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

How small?

I like anubias nana, subwassertang and mossballs.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

To make small tanks look bigger, in aquascapinging you use smaller plants to give a false sense of scale and give room for more detail.
    Some easy small plants are anubias, bucephalandra, and pearlweed
    You can look on tropica’s website for a list of easy plants, they give the size of them too

7. OP
    OP
    rae650

rae650 New Member Member

It's a 15g so not teeny, but still small enough that I'd like to used smaller plants.

8. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Watching with interest... getting ready to do a 10-gallon desk top. Good suggestions!

9. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Micranthemum tweedii, more commonly known as "Monte Carlo". It has small leaves and has a similar appearance to dwarf baby tears minus the necessity for injected CO2 and powerful lighting. I use it in my tiny 1 gallon nano aquascape and plan to use it for a Fluval Spec V setup as well.

I also recommend Helanthium tenellum, "micro chain sword", as well as Christmas moss, small varieties of bucephelandra, Anubias nana "petite", liverwort, and Juncus repens.