Low Tech Plant Question

chaaan30

I bought a 10 gallon package off of a site. With the package I believe I got some Cryptocorine Parva and Wenditii. I noticed one the plant species that I got is starting to melt and it starting to turn yellow, should I buy some root tabs from a LFS and add them into the gravel? I have no soil substrate, its just gravel that I bought from Petco.

I noticed the rooted plants don't seem to be thriving well, only my Anubias looks great and Java Ferns are starting to sprout new little baby fern very slowly. This is all in a 3 week span of owning the plants. The Anubias looks the same since I got it, but I got it tied to a spider wood as well as some of the other Java Ferns. The rest are kind of above the substrate because I didn't know how else to tie them on my spider wood.

Main question is should I feed the rooted plants some root tabs and get some flourish for the java fern and anubias? I do have some plants floating but can't tell if they are lacking any nutrients.

chrt396

You do need nutrients. Root tabs will help the plants with roots and Seachem makes a product called Flourish that will aid all your plants that feed from the water column as well as the rooted plants. I dose mine at least once a week with the liquid, and I use the root tabs every 3 months.

The biggest problem...is light! You need a light that can sustain plant life. Here is a photo that I got from one site that will tell you some of the physical ailments of plants and their causes.

Plant deficiencies.jpg

chaaan30

Would my T8 15 watt full spectrum light bulb be sufficient for my 10 gallon tank?

Maeve

Yes, they will need root tabs, but the melt they are doing now is normal; crypts are notorious for it when they are moved. If they melt completely, they can come back, so just fertilize and leave them alone

amydeb

I got some Cryptocorine Parva and Wenditii.

I have both of these plants as well. Definitely add root tabs! Most of the Crypto Parva melted to a stub and but came back beautifully. Also, be aware that unless you have high lighting, they will grow kind of flat to the ground not standing tall like when you got them. Still look very pretty though.
The WendtiI sat seemly forever not doing anything... not melting or dying OR growing. It's been a couple months now and in the last couple weeks, it's been growing like crazy. :shrug: I haven't done anything different with the tank. But I'm a plant newbie so I consider any plants that live (growth or not) a success.

DoubleDutch

Having WendtiI for years : my experience is it will even grow in engine-oil. (Don't try). A liw tech plant that will grow even without ferts or decent light. But as mentioned the leaves (shape, size, color) is different by having those ot not!

chaaan30

I believe the WenditiI that I have are actually looks tall. When I first put them in they looked flat for couple weeks, but I've noticed them standing taller like they are going more towards the light. I do have them more to the front of the tank so I guess they are getting light.

Quick question regarding moneywort and bacopa plants. I have the bacopa floating and the moneywort kind of just hanging out in the corner but above substrate because I can't get them to sick in the gravel.... I noticed they are melting slowly rather than thriving. What can I do for those? Should I be dosing SeaChem Flourish into the water column?

DoubleDutch

This plant (wendtii) indeed has several appearances. Low light / few ferts = dark short leaves. Light / ferts = lighter green long sterns and leaves.

I'd add some ferts and would try to plant them again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Otomatic
  • Question
Replies
Views
jetsetwilly76
Replies
Views
Arvil
Replies