Low Tech Monte Carlo Carpet

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
We are growing this carpet not once... but actually twice! Previously I had let the carpet get wildly overgrown, so I decided it was time to partly re-scape the tank and redo the carpet.
Keep in mind, I got this rimless tank as a cheap kit from PetSmart. It was on sale at $40 and came with a light and filter. The light is actually extremely good for the price of the tank :hilarious:
All this tank gets is 6 hours of light, Thrive C, and has Thrive root tabs.

Previous Carpet:
2F406CAE-8AF1-4D3C-A6E1-9BB6F9AEDEFC.jpeg

New Carpet Coming In:
59A60449-E72C-4755-B0C8-EDC848D69B77.jpeg

This is after about 2 months of growth, but things are on a good track! Any questions, feel free to ask!

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
wow thats really nice. how long did it take yourMC to do anything? i have some in the front and i dont know if its growing super slow or dying. because i see a bunch of pale leaves, ive had no luck with dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears, and now trying this

IMG_20200720_182001706.jpg

im using potting soil with a sand cap substrate

OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
wow thats really nice. how long did it take yourMC to do anything? i have some in the front and i dont know if its growing super slow or dying. because i see a bunch of pale leaves, ive had no luck with dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears, and now trying this

IMG_20200720_182001706.jpg

im using potting soil with a sand cap substrate
My Monte Carlo started growing almost immediately. Started off with dying off/brown leaves and now is spreading to form a carpet.
Do you have any root tabs under those? If not, it is my belief that Monte Carlo needs it in order to grow in a low tech tank. I would also suggest spreading out those clumps a bit more to form smaller patches :)

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
VeiltailKing said:
My Monte Carlo started growing almost immediately. Started off with dying off/brown leaves and now is spreading to form a carpet.
Do you have any root tabs under those? If not, it is my belief that Monte Carlo needs it in order to grow in a low tech tank. I would also suggest spreading out those clumps a bit more to form smaller patches :)
i have potting soild under the sand. so i dont think i need any root tabs for now. but i guess it cant hurt. at the very least they would re supplement the soil i think.

i run co2 still trying to find the right amount to use with a drop checker. some nicolg ferts 3 times a week and then theres the soil substrate. thats what i have going on atm. ive had the mc in there for a while and its still mostly green so i assume it must be doing something .

IMG_20200723_163941507.jpg

OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
i have potting soild under the sand. so i dont think i need any root tabs for now. but i guess it cant hurt. at the very least they would re supplement the soil i think.

i run co2 still trying to find the right amount to use with a drop checker. some nicolg ferts 3 times a week and then theres the soil substrate. thats what i have going on atm. ive had the mc in there for a while and its still mostly green so i assume it must be doing something .

IMG_20200723_163941507.jpg
I don’t have experience with CO2 so I can’t speak on that. I’ve only ever grown my MC low tech. My other high light tank won’t grow MC at all.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
VeiltailKing said:
I don’t have experience with CO2 so I can’t speak on that. I’ve only ever grown my MC low tech. My other high light tank won’t grow MC at all.
well kinda good to know. as i always thought mc needed co2 and thats why i was failing. well thats good to know. except now i know im doing something else wrong lol

what do you mean other high light? what light do you use?

OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nickguy5467 said:
well kinda good to know. as i always thought mc needed co2 and thats why i was failing. well thats good to know. except now i know im doing something else wrong lol

what do you mean other high light? what light do you use?
My other tank, 10g, has a Finnex Planted+ light on it and cannot grow Monte Carlo at all. But all the other plants in it thrive. It may just be a picky plant.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
VeiltailKing said:
My other tank, 10g, has a Finnex Planted+ light on it and cannot grow Monte Carlo at all. But all the other plants in it thrive. It may just be a picky plant.
maybe thats my problem? because thats the light im using lol. but i dont use the 24/7 mode i set it to sunny mode with a timer

OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Update picture time!! All is well :)
0F027C7C-3C05-4F15-806B-0B633C98558E.jpeg

vinay021

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Looks cool... Always wanted to grow a carpet but keep on failing terribly at it. All because of my Tetras... They keep pulling the plants out of soil. What fish do you have in there?

OP
VeiltailKing

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
vinay021 said:
Looks cool... Always wanted to grow a carpet but keep on failing terribly at it. All because of my Tetras... They keep pulling the plants out of soil. What fish do you have in there?
I just have an old betta in there!! (Like, really old :hilarious:) I do have tetras of different sorts in my other tanks and I’ve noticed both schools tend to nip at the plants in search of food morsels.

New Threads