Low tech/maintenance live planted tank tips

Sarahboone811

Hey y’all, so I’m wondering if I should buy some seachem flourish or not, like if it’s even worth my time or if my plants actually need it. I only use regular tank lights and leds, and the plants I have so far spread throughout my 4 tanks are moneywart, anacharis (egeria densa), anubias barteri/nana, Java fern, narrow leaf Java fern, windelov Java fern, hornwart, duckweed, and some sort of rotala and I’m also planning on getting some water lettuce eventually. I do have African dwarf frogs as well as shrimp and pond snails so I do have to be careful with what I put in the tanks as far as fertilizer and such goes and it seems like seachem flourish is the cheapest best option for my needs but I’ve also read some people saying you don’t even need that or anything for some plants and wanna get some definitive opinions. Am I better off without adding anything? Newbie to live plants and only started buying them for my tanks a few weeks ago but really like them so far so thanks for any help! :)

awilkinson871

Flourish is not worth it. It does not have micro and macro nutrients. Plants do need fertilizer. With a large number of plants you would need a huge bioload to have enough fertilizer for all of them. I use Thrive S which is safe for shrimp. I believe the Thrive C is safe also, but I have not used it.

BlackOsprey

Flourish is stinky watered-down snake oil. Easy Green or Thrive will actually do something for your plants.
What's your substrate, by the way? Thrive root tabs might be worthwhile if your substrate is just sand or gravel.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CoconutTheBetta
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
  • Question
Replies
Views
airdog44
  • Question