Low Tech Lights For My 5

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Since I already have a high tech tank, I figured, why not go low tech on this one! So I have a 5 gallon bowfront that's 12 inches deep and 15 inches wide. I need a light that can grow low tech lights. I know wpg is outdated, and you generally use lumens now, and I looked up how many lumens per liter and its 10 to 20 for low tech, however, I don't know how much that diminishes the deeper you get. I do know if I do fluorescent or CFL then watts per gallon is relevant. I want something in the 7000K range. I know its not the exact preferred range, but I think it looks a little better.

I would really like an LED but I'm trying to stay pretty low cost with this tank, but I'm not sure if I buy a cheap $15 ebay light then how long it will last.

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler Fishman Valued Member Member

Ecosmart has cheap 13.5 watt 5000k LEDS that grow plants like a charm, I used just one on a clamp lamp on my 10 gal, it lit it up perfectly and my plants grew huge, not too sure about lumens, though these lights did work so im not complaing

3. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Yeah I'll have to look into those! I'm thinking I may just go with a worklight, and get a pretty high wattage bulb on it, and then just raise and lower it as needed. Thanks! I'll look at that bulb

4. KarenW

KarenW Valued Member Member

Following because I am new at lighting and am setting up a 20 G tall with low light plants. When you mentioned the Ecosmart 13.5 w LED, is that ACTUAL watts, right? Not the Replacement wattage. I have a desk/work lamp over the tank now with a 9 w (actual) now.

5. Tyler Fishman

Its like a 75 watt replacment so yeah 13.5 watts

6. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Could you link those? I'm having a hard time finding them. If your in the US I'll be looking in lowes, home depot, and walmart. Preferably walmart.

7. Tyler Fishman

Home depot has a whole section of them, you check amazon?