Low Tech Budget Build Checklist

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Hey so I'm putting together a 10 gallon low tech today but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything because I have never really had a planted tank before....

I have:
I'm still have to get:
Am I missing anything??

LiamHartwick

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Woodsman27 said:
Hey so I'm putting together a 10 gallon low tech today but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything because I have never really had a planted tank before....

I have:
I'm still have to get:
  • Black (imaginarium) sand
  • Plants
  • Fish
  • Fertilizer/root tabs (depending on plants)
Am I missing anything??
Have you got a net ? Heater? Background (optional).

LiamHartwick

Reactions
Experience
2 years
kallililly1973 said:
Good catch with the heater but seeing the OP appears to live in Florida it may not be necessary.
I see, how about tweezers or special scissors? For the planting.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
TimothyHartwick said:
Have you got a net ? Heater? Background (optional).
Background! That's the thing I was forgetting! Omg thank you, I knew there was something... lol I have a net, and like kallililly1973 mentioned I don't use a heater because I'm in south florida.

Dont worry I'll post pics!

Thanks!

TimothyHartwick said:
I see, how about tweezers or special scissors? For the planting.
Yep, got 'em!

Ok so... as it turns out I didnt waterlog my driftwood so I have that soaking in an old kitty litter bucket as of about 2 hours ago. I have cleaned the the tank and lid with 50% water and 50% white vinegar that I put in a spray bottle, then rinsed and dried with a microfiber towel. I setup the sponge filter, measuring all the air line and installed a check valve. Then I just put the dragon rock, (I think that's what it's called, I can't remember the actual name) where I would like it. I know I want at least one amazon sword, some red ludwigia, java fern, dwarf hair grass, and anubius... but I'll have to wait and see what the lfs has. I'll probably go tomorrow if the wood isn't floating still. We will see!

20190811_134049.jpg

Sorry, this one is a little blurry...
20190811_134325.jpg

20190811_134151.jpg

20190811_134138.jpg

20190811_132510.jpg

So we'll see what this driftwood does over night but does anyone have any tips on placement? Like plants and driftwood? I ask because I'm better at making things symmetrical but when it comes to this I'm lost lol!

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
It's not a prize winner, but I'm happy with it.

20190812_122611.jpg

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Just thought I'd post an update:

Well, 3 of my 5 plants melted

I was however, able to save the Amazon sword and anubius. I added root tabs near both both a few days ago and they are doing well. I also started a fish in cycle. I was going to do fishless... but my parents talked me into getting fish so I got 5 black skirt tettras.

Fish are doing well. They know when feeding time is, which is good, but there's the one in the back that is the only male (I think) but I have yet to see him eat..

I was also able to get a refund for my melted plants, which I thought was very impressive!

All in all it still looks good imo. I may add some ludwigia Repens on the right tho.

20190817_165743.jpg

esqueff

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Woodsman27 said:
The driftwood has landed
Man what a good way to put it. This happened to me this week as I was putting together my 6 gallon fluval build. Such a good feeling to see that driftwood sunk haha!

ponitboss

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 years
Woodsman27 said:
Background! That's the thing I was forgetting! Omg thank you, I knew there was something... lol I have a net, and like kallililly1973 mentioned I don't use a heater because I'm in south florida.

Dont worry I'll post pics!

Thanks!

Yep, got 'em!

Ok so... as it turns out I didnt waterlog my driftwood so I have that soaking in an old kitty litter bucket as of about 2 hours ago. I have cleaned the the tank and lid with 50% water and 50% white vinegar that I put in a spray bottle, then rinsed and dried with a microfiber towel. I setup the sponge filter, measuring all the air line and installed a check valve. Then I just put the dragon rock, (I think that's what it's called, I can't remember the actual name) where I would like it. I know I want at least one amazon sword, some red ludwigia, java fern, dwarf hair grass, and anubius... but I'll have to wait and see what the lfs has. I'll probably go tomorrow if the wood isn't floating still. We will see!

20190811_134049.jpg

Sorry, this one is a little blurry...
20190811_134325.jpg

20190811_134151.jpg

20190811_134138.jpg

20190811_132510.jpg

So we'll see what this driftwood does over night but does anyone have any tips on placement? Like plants and driftwood? I ask because I'm better at making things symmetrical but when it comes to this I'm lost lol!
You may need a check value on the tubing in between the filter and pump so water can't run back into the pump during an power outage, or just raise the pump higher than the water level

Nobote

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Woodsman27 said:
It's not a prize winner, but I'm happy with it.

20190812_122611.jpg
Ill second that...you did a nice job. Looks natural and like a place fish would be happy.

OP
Woodsman27

Woodsman27

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
3 years
Nobote said:
Ill second that...you did a nice job. Looks natural and like a place fish would be happy.
Thank you so much! so far they do seem happy, all swimming around and through the plants and wood lol they're really fun to watch, and my parents like them too!

New Threads