Low Profile Heater?

Fishstery

20181222_144210 (1).jpg So after a while with algae I was so sick of looking at my 12 gallon long tank. I finally took the time to do a deep clean (pulled all my stone and scrubbed off BBA and cleaned plant leaves) it's such a difference since I cleaned it that it peaked my interest and reminded me how much I like that tank. So I'm going to restock it and fix the aesthetics to get this thing looking really nice since I paid good money for it. It's a gorgeous 12 gallon long rimless from aquamaxx. I started with buying some nice glass lily pipes to replace the terrible looking input/output the canister came with. I'm building a custom stand for the canister to sit since I have it level with the tank on my dresser currently. Once I get the pipes situated I'm having my LFS make a custom acrylic lid for it (because my new centerpiece fish is going to be a blue gularis killifish!!).

What I need help with is my heater. My tank is scaped and planted dead center, with both sides completely open so I don't have any room to hide a heater. I'm currently using a 50w heater that is very long and bulky (10 inches). I know there's a love of serious aquascapers on here and there has to be SOMEONE to help me! I'm looking for a low profile heater, something at least 50 watts but not a long cigar shape like the one I have. I don't want an overly cheap one, for my fishes safety. Lastly if anyone can help me find a mini/compact UV sterilizer, I'd like to try one in this tank to help with alage control and parasites/disease. The filter is a finnex compact 360 canister.

nikm128

I think aqueon makes compact size heaters. Some are actually flat pads, some are just the normal model but tiny.
This is a smaller 50w:
I don't think the pad type one I mentioned actually comes in a 50w model

Bryangar

Maybe get the hydor inline heater? it connects to your filter hose.

Martin S

HI Fishstery

What about hiding your long 50W heater behind your decor? You could place it horizontally behind it.

Regarding UV sterilizers I can only tell you based on my (beginner) experience that they are all fairly large because of the UV bulb and pump that are both needed. Any UV sterilizer is great for dealing with floating algae and parasites but not so for BBA or other algae that are attached to surfaces. You might be better off with a small powerhead that helps to circulate the water and remove debris much faster. Algae have difficulties to find an attachment in fast moving water. Also powerheads are much smaller and less expensive. Do you already have a powerhead or is this a canister filter at the back?

Very nice tank setup by the way.

david1978

I wonder how the substrate heat cable would work.
Exo Terra Heater Cable, 12-Feet/15-Watt

Fanatic

Have you tried a Cobalt heater? My brother got one of these, and they are less than half an inch thick.

Fishstery

HI Fishstery

What about hiding your long 50W heater behind your decor? You could place it horizontally behind it.

Regarding UV sterilizers I can only tell you based on my (beginner) experience that they are all fairly large because of the UV bulb and pump that are both needed. Any UV sterilizer is great for dealing with floating algae and parasites but not so for BBA or other algae that are attached to surfaces. You might be better off with a small powerhead that helps to circulate the water and remove debris much faster. Algae have difficulties to find an attachment in fast moving water. Also powerheads are much smaller and less expensive. Do you already have a powerhead or is this a canister filter at the back?

Very nice tank setup by the way.
Thank you! The driftwood was cut so it goes all the way to the back wall of the tank. Essentially I'd have to balance the heater like a see saw and I don't want it touching my plants and burning them. It's the canister behind there, and my output flow is very strong because the canister is rated at 95 gph which is actually causing stringy algae in the high flow areas so I don't think any extra power is needed. I did find this UV sterlizer on amazon...wonder if its worth a try..

Btw even a black heater might work. I was looking at a flat puck shaped one but it's too cheap I'm worried about it malfunctioning and burning my fish

Fishstery

I think aqueon makes compact size heaters. Some are actually flat pads, some are just the normal model but tiny.
This is a smaller 50w:
I don't think the pad type one I mentioned actually comes in a 50w model
I'm not crazy on preset heaters but otherwise this one would work!! Thank you for the input

nikm128

I'm not crazy on preset heaters but otherwise this one would work!! Thank you for the input
I don't like presets either, but those are a pretty good option if you don't want to lay your current 50w sideways

nikm128

Thank you! The driftwood was cut so it goes all the way to the back wall of the tank. Essentially I'd have to balance the heater like a see saw and I don't want it touching my plants and burning them. It's the canister behind there, and my output flow is very strong because the canister is rated at 95 gph which is actually causing stringy algae in the high flow areas so I don't think any extra power is needed. I did find this UV sterlizer on amazon...wonder if its worth a try..

Btw even a black heater might work. I was looking at a flat puck shaped one but it's too cheap I'm worried about it malfunctioning and burning my fish
That sterilizer is a pretty good one, but the thing is sterilizers only kill free floating algae so the stringy algae you're having problems with won't be solved by a UV

Fishstery

Have you tried a Cobalt heater? My brother got one of these, and they are less than half an inch thick.
I looked this up and thank you for the suggestion that is exactly what I was looking for! Shorter length, slI'm design, black color (to blend in with my sand) and of good quality plus I can set the temperature myself. I'm going to invest in the UV sterlizer first since the heater is $50 ): but eventually this is exactly what I will get

Fishstery

That sterilizer is a pretty good one, but the thing is sterilizers only kill free floating algae so the stringy algae you're having problems with won't be solved by a UV
Technically I think it will still help my alage problem, because the alage is reoccurring even after manual removal because I knock all the spores around in the water when I manually pull it off the plants which then the plants itself everywhere. I've also had a months long battle with a mystery parasite which attacks new fish when I add them despite multiple attempts at different meds, heat, and salt which I think this might help as well.

nikm128

Ok, it should help with the illness at least

H2O Concierge

I am sure that some of this has most likely been stated but here goes. I feel that when it comes to algae...more means less. The more quantity, or imbalance, of certain things causes more growth. I was having all kinds of algae growth until I did the following... 1).reduced the hours and intensity of light. 2). I elevated the light off the top glass, using blocks if you can't suspend it. 3). I reduced feeding. 4). Since I have none CO2 planted tanks I added Seachem Flourish Excel to my usually ferts. 5). Added SAE's. Concerning your heater situation I have had good luck with the Aqueon PRO 50 in my small tanks.(Caution there are many similar Aqueon 50 watt heaters). The on indicator light is located at the top temp adj.

AZrodeo92

Put the heater in the filter

nikm128

Put the heater in the filter
That works? I suppose if the reservoir is big enough there wouldn't be an issue
Very creative

AZrodeo92

My tank is much bigger than yours, but I do keep my heaters in my Sump and it works just fine

Fishstery

My tank is much bigger than yours, but I do keep my heaters in my Sump and it works just fine
I don't have a sump, I have a canister and even without media I wouldn't be able to close it with a heater in there but creative thought--thank you!

AZrodeo92

I don't have a sump, I have a canister and even without media I wouldn't be able to close it with a heater in there but creative thought--thank you!
Have you looked into the bubblers that also heat the air?

nikm128

Those are a thing? Mind, Blown!

Fishstery

No I didn't know those were a thing either! If it wasn't winter I could probably get away without a heater, my 2 unheated tanks sit af 74 degrees but this tank in question is in my bedroom which is an add-on to my house so it's about 10 degrees colder than the rest of my house. The only tank inhabitants are cardinal tetras and a killifish so I could get away with 74 degrees if my room wasn't so stinking cold!

Kjeldsen

I have that same tank, I think. Rimless 12 gallon 36"w X 9" tall? Love it, but yeah, heater was a problem. WalMart sells a $10. Tetra heater that fits, but they're preset at 78* (which is fine for my fish).

Fishstery

I have that same tank, I think. Rimless 12 gallon 36"w X 9" tall? Love it, but yeah, heater was a problem. WalMart sells a $10. Tetra heater that fits, but they're preset at 78* (which is fine for my fish).
Yup the aquamaxx! It's such a pretty tank so I figured its time to invest in upgraded hardware to match it. One user actually suggested it in previous comments which would really work for me but I have a hard time trusting presets because of horror stories of them not shutting off and cooking peoples fishead:

H2O Concierge

Just remember to keep an eye on the temp. Also I found that with age they did tend to not hold a consistent temp., usually too low. But if the thermostat fails most comments state that they don't shut off. At least with an adjustable you can compensate. Wow 74 degrees in the winter. My wife keeps it at 60 and that means my heaters work overtime. That's one reason why I have 2 in each tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• gibsonfan2332
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Fisch
  • UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • WrenFeenix