Low PH

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
The PH in my 15 gallon is usually 7.0, but I tested it yesterday (NitrIte, NitrAte, Ammonia all normal), but the PH had dropped to 6.0!

All the fish seem fine, and are swimming around as they usually do. The PH straight out of the tap is 7.2. The PH in my Q tank and 7.5 gallon tank are both fine at 7.0. I'm confused. Why has the PH suddenly dropped in my 15gal? Any ideas? ???

What can I do?

Thanks

Gwenz

Marc

Well Known
Reaction score
Do you have plants? I noticed that after I put in a lot plants my pH had dropped to about 5.8. I've also read that a build-up of waste could contribute to a pH crash.

OP
Gwenz

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
Yes I have 2 Vellisneria (sp?). But they have been in there since I've had the tank back in April.

Gwenz

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Your tank is not very old, so I doubt it's . It sounds like either it has to do with waste buildup in your substrate that needs cleaning more often, or it could just be that your tap water gasses out to a different ph.

Take a bowl and fill it with tap water. Check the ph, and let it sit overnight. Check it in 24 hours and see if there is more than a .2 difference on the ph level. If that is the case, you will need to age your water before adding it to your tank during water changes. I could be very dangerous to your fish if the ph fluctuates more than .2 all of a sudden.

New Threads