low ph

1. fishermanspie Member Member

My tap water PH is 5.5
    I have lemon tetra , and shrimps oh and one corydoras harbrosus (long story ) Soon I would also like to get cardinal tetra , otocinclus and corys
    When I take a reading from my planted tank which also has bog wod , sand , and dragon water the reading is 6 .
    How much oyster shell grit should I add to bring it up to 6.5 and how often should I add it .
    Would it be a good idea to add it bearing in mind the fish I want to keep will it harm the shrimp ??
    Thanks

2. fishermanspie Member Member

Thanks for the info .
    I went to an aquatic shop yesterday and I was going to buy a couple of fish and told them my ph . They said that they could not sell me any fish as my ph was to low there ph was 6.5 ??
    How am I am going to get around this when stocking in the future ??

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

In my opinion your pH is too low. When the pH falls below 6.0, the beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the tanks cycle may go dormant then causing increased ammonia levels. Although with a pH below 7.0, the ammonia turns into ammonium which is less toxic than ammonia, but they both are still toxic to your fish.

Here is a link concerning pH and ways to maintain a stable pH without the use of chemicals. Adding a cup or two of crushed coral into a mesh bag and placed in the filter or into the tank itself should help to increase your levels.
    http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/articles/107

Ken

4. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I would not think that ANY of the completely natural ways to raise a pH would harm the shrimp. If it comes in a bottle I wouldn't trust it.

If you decide to pretreat rather than try to get the tank you have now going there are a lot of options that you can use and play around with a bit more but for now the easiest is probably to add the bag as mentioned.

If you get into the issue of having multiple tanks and want to be able to use one tank to treat all your water change water then I would look into moving a lot of the ph buffering to that tank and keep minimal amounts in your show tanks.

5. fishermanspie Member Member

Thanks
    :;scuba