Low Nitrates After Being Cycled For A Great Period Of Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My tank has been cycled for awhile but I just had an ammonia spike due to a shrimp death and did a 30% water change with prime and that fixed it but upon taking the reading again it's not reading quite at 0ppm but also not quite at 5.0ppm its like somewhere in between should I add some safe start? Do you think I've ruined my cycle somehow? Before all this started when adding the shrimp I had an ammonia spike as well and was doing a lot of water changes

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My tank has been cycled for awhile but I just had an ammonia spike due to a shrimp death and did a 30% water change with prime and that fixed it but upon taking the reading again it's not reading quite at 0ppm but also not quite at 5.0ppm its like somewhere in between should I add some safe start? Do you think I've ruined my cycle somehow? Before all this started when adding the shrimp I had an ammonia spike as well and was doing a lot of water changes
Whats your nitrites and nitrates reading? Doesnt prime just strip chems like chlorine to make the water safe? Idk that it effects ammonia/nitrite/nitrates.

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry should have been more clear in original post, my nitrates are reading 0ppm but it's a darker color like closer to 5.0ppm but still too low. Nitrite is 0ppm.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry should have been more clear in original post, my nitrates are reading 0ppm but it's a darker color like closer to 5.0ppm but still too low. Nitrite is 0ppm.
Doesnt sound like a panic situation. The water change is good. Test after 24 hours and see if you balance out. Your nitrites are 0, so thats a very good thing. Your nitrates are good too.

Geena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Doesnt sound like a panic situation. The water change is good. Test after 24 hours and see if you balance out. Your nitrites are 0, so thats a very good thing. Your nitrates are good too.
Okay I just always panic when anything is off of the ordinary I love my critters so much lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom