Low-maintenance plants for a 5 gallon?

wope

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello all,

I will be setting up a 5 gallon tank for my dad, which would probably house just 1 fish (probably a betta) and maybe 1-2 ADFs. I have not used live plants in any aquarium before, and figured I'd give it a try with this tank. What would you recommend for this tank? Preferably something that is low maintenance, but nice looking! I will be changing the incandescent bulb to a fluorescent, since I am told that will help.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi wope I've had good luck with java moss in a 5 gallon.
My betta and frogs (on separate tanks) liked to rest on it.

If you decide to get a betta and frogs, make it 1 frog. With 2 ADF's in a 5 gallon the nitrates creep up pretty quickly.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Java moss, Java fern, and anubias are all very simple plants that are easy to control in a small tank. I would suggest investing in a . I have one over half of my 10 gallon, and the plants are doing incredibly well.

penance

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've grown a wide range of plants in my 5 gallon - I have a fluorescent light, never had to add any fertilizers and they always grew nicely

java fern
java moss
red ludgia (this thing grew bigggg until I transferred it into my 55 gallon tank and my silver dollars munched on it :'( piggy plant eaters

those are the ones whose plant names I can remember lol

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads