low light plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ryan123, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Ryan123Valued MemberMember

I have a 29 gallon aquarium I am planting it and what are some good plants that can live in low light conditions I have a 17 watt zoo med ultra Sun fluorescent bulb

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

ive heard that any crypt usually grows well in low light

3. OP
    OP
    R

Ryan123Valued MemberMember

thanks

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

thats very low light so nothing is a guarantee. some to try would be anubias, java moss/fern, crypt's would be best bet. you can also try dwarf sag, water spite or Anacharis.

5. OP
    OP
    R

I will be using ferts so that should help those are the plant's I will buy I have heard that lights only make them grow faster or slower. what could I do for more wattage

6. bankruptjojo

7. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

there is lots of T5 Ho fixtures with tons of options (built in timer moon lights )on ebay / amazon for better prices with free shipping

8. OP
    OP
    R

thanks guys I am only going buy low light plants today and keep saving money so I can buy the fixture bankruptjojo gave me a link to

9. OP
    OP
    R

I just planted my tank last night and I currently have wisteria, crypt wenditii, lemon bacopa, anubius nana, java fern narrow leaf and java fern lacy and apongenton bulbs.

10. bankruptjojo

sounds good just make sure to remove any dying plants as they can cause ammonia as they decay. good luck i hope they all grow well for you.

11. OP
    OP
    R

tanks I have 70 bucks so hopefully I can buy the light fixture

12. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

Some of those plants may not make it. Could you swing a basic desk lamp and add a daylight CFL bulb? For around $20 you could have enough light for your plants.

Using ferts with so little light will not be of much value. With too little light, will plants not be able to grow or take in nutrients. Too many unused nutrients and you end up with algae.

IME lighting is the primary reason for plant failure.

13. OP
    OP
    R

well I think I will convince my grandmother to let me buy the light fixture bankruptjojo showed me so right why I need more light so she won't think I just want something because I spent 50 dollars worth of plants and I don't want to lose them

:)I have enough money saved to buy it myself

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  14. bankruptjojo

i have that fixture and it works fine. i have it on my 125g lol. its growing some crypts on a 24in high tank. it will deff be better than what you have.

15. OP
    OP
    R

could you say what could happen if i dont buy that fixture

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  16. bankruptjojo

all plant growth would be very slow. also these plants might not make it at all...
    wisteria, bacopa, apongenton they should need more light then you have.

17. OP
    OP
    R

thanks

18. Meeps83

Meeps83Well Known MemberMember

I like the anubias plants. They can grow in low light tanks.

19. OP
    OP
    R

I just put the light fixture on the tank and it looks great really bright

20. catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

You should post a picture then! With the extra light don't forget to keep up on the fert dosages and CO2 supplements.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice