Low-light plant fertilizers

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of planting my 12 gallon tank, and I am getting a combination of Java ferns, Crypts, anubias, vallisneria, wisteria and anacharis (we'll see how the last three do), and possibly some dwarf four leaf clovers (it's worth a shot).

I have normal substrate that has been in my tank for a good 6 months. I also have a rather heavy load of fish, and I was wondering how I should go about fertilizing them and how long I should leave my lights on, (small compact fluorescent and an LED moonlight I installed). Also, do you recommend going with fertilizer tabs only or also trying liquid fertilizer. How about CO2 stones or something? I looking for low budget, but I don't mind putting time into it.
  2. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

The cfl should do the trick on a tank that size. On the fert I say get some root tabs for your stem plants and some Flourish Iron 2 times a week and excel every week. Hope it helps.

3. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

I got the flourish plant tabs for the roots.

I am a bit lost on the liquid additives. I got the Flourish Excel down, as a CO2 substitute.
    Should I get Flourish comprehensive? Or just the Flourish Iron? Or both?

What's a good amount of time to leave my lights on? 12 on 12 off?
  4. phil saint Member Member

i have java ferns and they do fine with about 6-8 hours of light, mine are tied onto some drift wood as java ferns take nutrients direct from the water not the substrate. another plant which is very easy to grow and maintain is canadian pond weed if anything the only thing i have to do with that is cut it back every now and then as it grows fast, its also a high oxegenating plant and dose not require a great deal of light.

5. click Well Known Member Member

I have low light plants and I keep my light 12 on 12 off. I think the only reason you would want to cut down on the light is if you start having algae problems. Others might correct me if I'm wrong.