Low light newbie plants

1. Jaredmaz Member Member

Hi all I'm looking to add some more driftwood and live plants to my 60 gallon aquarium.. I currently have an anubias that is blooming very well.. I have just a standard led light I'm assuming it's pretty low light my water temp is 80-82 I'm looking for some plants that can grow with the lighting I have.. I need some plants that will grow pretty tall for my Angels and maybe some random plants just to make the tank look a bit better I'm a total newbie when it comes to plants.. side note I add seachem flourish to my tank once every couple days and I have standard gravel for substrate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Whitehispanic Initiate Member

Any type of Amazon swords, ludwigia, water sprouts and my favorite Dwarf lilies are pretty easy and don't need a lot of light.

3. Jaredmaz Member Member

Do I need to add anything to help the amazon sword grow

4. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

5. Jaredmaz Member Member

What are echinodorus? I've never used root tabs before how would I apply them and what product do you recommend? Thanks for the input!

6. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Echinodorus = swordplant
    I go with fatcatfish

Cryptocryne Wendtii is a good choice.

7. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

If you have any wood or rocks, you could attach a Java Fern to them (these are leaf heavy feeders I believe, so liquid fertilisers would be ideal).

Root tabs are pushed into the substrate around the main feeder roots about once every month. I buy Tetra Crypto root tabs and Tetra liquid fertiliser.

8. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

I had wendtii once in my frog-tank. No lighting, no heating, no ferts. Result : dark / short leaves but beautiful plants !

9. Jaredmaz Member Member

Awsome thanks

10. Bbarb27 Member Member

I have low light tanks and have had good luck with water wisteria, anacharis (both floating and in the substrate), java ferns and some swords. Ozelot swords stay small, unlike Amazons that can get huge.

I saw a photo of an all anubias tank and it was gorgeous. There are several varieties and they all do well with low light set ups.

11. Jaredmaz Member Member

I need to find a good sword