Low Light Anemones

Discussion in 'Anemones' started by cm11599ps, Apr 12, 2010.

1. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

I've got a 46 bowfront in my garage I'm hoping to convert into a reef. Are there any anemones that I can have with less powerful lighting? I don't have any lighting on it as of now.

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Cm!

Hopefully some of our salt members will be able to help you out today.
    Ken

3. cm11599psWell Known MemberMember

I keep going back and forth and what kind of SW tank I want. Perhaps this low light question isn't even relevant to me anymore because if I'm going to do something, I should do it the right way and get the right products and equipment.

Thanks. If there's ever an answer maybe it will help another member.

4. SarrixxValued MemberMember

As far as I know there isn't really such a thing as a "Low Light Anemone" because they all require fairly decent lighting. Factors (concerned with lighting) to take into account are things like how deep your tank is and what sort of lighting fixture you have - whether it be Power Compacts, T8's, T5 HO/VHO, Metal Hallides or Led lights. Other factors to take into account are how much flow is available, and safe tank mates.

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I decided long ago to not keep any anemones due to the unfortunate habit some have of wandering around the tank and stinging everything. I have too much money invested in my corals to risk it.

If you like the look of an anemone but also want something that does well with less intense lighting and is easier to care for (not to mention, sessile! lol), try looking into euphyllia corals like frogspawn, hammer, torch. These are LPS corals so they have a hard skeleton, but the polyps that extend from the skeleton resemble a nem. Some clowns will even host them.

For a 46 bowfront without a nem, a T5 HO fixture would work great. I use a 6x 39W Nova Extreme Pro on my 3 foot 50 gallon and I like it a lot. If you want to try an anemone (remember, you need to wait for the tank to mature), I would recommend metal halides, although you may be able to get away with T5s still. If you're interested in my setup, there are links in my signature that will take you to my thread. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice