Low kh?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by Bijou88, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

So I finally got my kh/gh test kit yesterday, the results are..
    Kh 3-4 drops (turned ever so slightly yellow with 3, but not completely yellow until 4 drops)
    Gh 7 drops
    Using the api liquid tests.
    My ph is stable around 8.

Since I have live bearers and snails I would like to raise my kh. Will adding crushed coral to do so also raise my ph? Because I feel like it's plenty high as is....I really feel like I should get that kh up though for my snails in particular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes put some crushed coral in a mesh bag into your filter. Then test again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

That's what I'm thinking. I just worry it will raise my ph too much :/ I suppose I could try some and see what happens. After some googling that seems like the best option. I'll probably throw another cuttlebone in there as well.

4. GeoffWell Known MemberMember

The crushed coral has raised my kH but not my pH...at least not yet. It's just keeping my pH steady at 7.8...or buffering it, I guess is the term.

5. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What's the pH of your tap water? The KH will only buffer your pH not raise it, unless you use aragonite-based substrate. Or ones that have limestone etc.

6. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Ah, good to hear! That's what I'm hoping for since my ph is already pretty high. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice