Low Grade Female Or Male???

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by MaeKay, Apr 17, 2017.

1. M

MaeKay Valued Member Member

[​IMG]

I need to buy some males for my high quality females and I don't know if I've ever seen an actual male. Thanks!

2. fjh

fjh Well Known Member Member

I think I can see a saddle (hard to tell from the picture) so she's a low grade female

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Is that at Petco? I would buy from someone on Aquabid instead - better quality and cheaper than Petco!

4. OP
    OP
    M

I thought I saw a saddle, too. Thank you.

5. OP
    OP
    M

Yep, I'm researching right now. They actually are cheaper at Petco but it was mostly an experiment to see if I could keep these alive and breed them before paying for the more expensive colors.

After doing research I'm guessing I'll never see males at Petco so at least I can see if I can keep them alive for a while. The first 3 I got from Petco were amazing quality, hence me thinking I could start there. But I've realized now I shouldn't.

I'm also trying to understand the genetics to know which ones I can keep together. (I realize they need to be a completely different genus...now it's just learning the scientific name of each variety!)

I was super pleased to see two babies have survived in my tank now that I removed the two mollies. (My second batch of cherries from Petco were slightly lower quality and one was already berried...I'd probably cull these if I chose to seriously start breeding...)

6. TexasDomer

Are they cheaper at Petco? When I saw them, they were something like $3.99 each. You can get them much cheaper on Aquabid.

7. OP
    OP
    M

True. I was comparing apples to oranges. The reds at Petco are cheaper than the blues on Aquabid. My mistake.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Have you ever bought from Aquatic Arts? (They're on eBay, Amazon, and possibly I have seen them on Aquabid...) We have gift cards for Amazon so we were thinking of purchasing from them.

9. TexasDomer

I haven't, but others have, and have had good experiences, from what I've heard.

10. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I managed to get a couple nice males (richer color) from my local petco, mine sometimes get to almost fire red in color that are available. The males have skinnier abdomens, so I can tell the ones in the tank apart - plus they let me fish out my own fish lol.
    Lower grades are hard to tell apart for gender.

11. OP
    OP
    M

I wish they'd let me! I think once I actually see a male in real life I'll be able to tell the difference.

12. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I'll try and get some pictures of mine, i've got a number at all stages (even the flea sized babies) they just hide where I can't see/get to when I pull out my phone lol.

13. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks! I have two babies right now that are already maybe 2-3 mm. I brought a berried female home on 3/31 but just discovered the babies on 4/15. [​IMG] (you can barely see the baby on the long skinny leaf)

14. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

Prices online vs petco are about the same for cherry shrimp after you get shipping added in unless you're buying someone's mischling or in bulk. If you only wanted 10 or fewer shrimp then they are definitely more expensive online.

Also, your local petco is using your tap water, tho I think their huge losses are due to keeping their cherry shrimp shipments in a breeder box and not feeding them.

I saw my local petco keeping some other shrimp loose in the nano fish tank, and they were doing much better (it was some bee shrimp allegedly, I'm not so sure, they coulda been yellow and orange neos too).
    IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1311.JPG IMG_1312.JPG

Pretty sure those listings were completely wrong and ridiculously priced by someone receiving that day not knowing what they were. The next day I came in and the girl that usually works there had replaced the signs and there was one up for bee shrimp $3.99, and I still think it's wrong, the yellow look like neos. Not sure where they're sourcing these, since yellow shrimp are not on liveaquaria.com <-Check out the copyright at the bottom, it's Petco. Never buy fish or inverts from LiveAquaria.com. Terrible reviews!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    M

I do like the idea of Petco using local tap water. Our red cherries are in a regular tank with a couple plants, like your cherries above.

Thanks for the review of Live Aquaria! I'll keep that in mind.

16. FishRFriendz

FishRFriendz Well Known Member Member

Those pics are at the store, so they're not mine. I'd considered getting the yellow, but they only had like 1-2 the first day and only 1 of the red shrimp was left by the time I came by and they had changed the sign, and I wasn't about to cross breed with the RCS I'd gotten months ago.

I've also never ordered from LiveAquaria, but if you look for youtube unboxings... its bad. Not good at all, even on plant orders. It's funny to hear the customers unboxing tho, like you hear them say the plants look ok/good, but what you see is miserable compared to videos of unboxings from like BucePlant or JacobsAquarium (I was only looking at plants at the time).

17. OP
    OP
    M

By "our" I meant our Petco looks like your Petco. They're not in a breeder box. They're in a regular display tank with other shrimp (usually amano), some nano fish, and a few plants. Depending on the day of the week they could have 20 red cherries in their tank. Tiny but a lot of them. Although recently the quality has been lower. Whether they feed that tank or not I have no idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice