Low GH, ok to add mineral rock?

coolio3991

Hey so my gh is low I think I'm getting a reading of 2 drops so is it okay if I add a mineral rock or 2 to my 20g and part of one to my 1.5

richiep

Hey so my

Hey so my gh is low I think I'm getting a reading of 2 drops so is it okay if I add a mineral rock or 2 to my 20g and part of one to my 1.5
It depends what your keeping as to what your gh should be

coolio3991

Hello so I have 3 tanks 2 have neocaradena shrimp and black mollies in them, my 1.5 and my 20g.
My 20g also has ramshorn snails, neon tetras, ember tetras, and zebra danios. My 10g has a betta and 3 dwarf crayfish in it.

I need help understanding what gh and kh I need for all my tanks, and how to raise or lower it.
Also the gh and kh tests I've done say 2 drops for both tests in each tank. That is the test turns from orange to light green with 2 drops and turns from blue to yellow in 2 drops.

richiep

Are these readings also from your tap water? if so you are going to need Salty bee gh/kh+ or the equivalent in Seechem equilibrium
You will also need a TDS meter to assist you with readings. Amazon under$15 £10 ish
While it's this low your cray and shrimp are at risk of failure moults, so you need to act or you could start loosing some

coolio3991

Are these readings also from your tap water? if so you are going to need Salty bee gh/kh+ or the equivalent in Seechem equilibrium
You will also need a TDS meter to assist you with readings. Amazon under$15 £10 ish
While it's this low your cray and shrimp are at risk of failure moults, so you need to act or you could start loosing some
Okay thank you. So the shrimp mineral rocks on amazon help with that. That way I'm not changing the water chemistry but they still get what they need. I ordered some last night. I can start with that. And soon I will get the tds meter.

richiep

That won't work unless they guarantee to take the gh to gh8 and keep it stable ,which calcium blocks won't do, they only allow the shrimp and cray to nibbled on which helps condition the shell for moulting, your water chemistry needs to be altered to suite the living conditions for shrimp

coolio3991

I am getting the sun grow mineral rocks. I've read the reviews and they seam good. As long as you monitor the gh of the tank they are in. I just have to figure out how many stones to use for each tank. They all have a gh of 2 drops. so I'm going to put 1 stone in my 20g tank. And the next day check the gh. See how much it raises it. I'm hoping to get the gh too 6-8 drops.
That won't work unless they guarantee to take the gh to gh8 and keep it stable ,which calcium blocks won't do, they only allow the shrimp and cray to nibbled on which helps condition the shell for moulting, your water chemistry needs to be altered to suite the living conditions for shrimp
Okay what is the best product available for doing that. I wont have money till next weekend. So far shrimp seam to be okay molting with me doing daily water changes. What should I do till I can get the product you recommend, just keep ontop of water changes.
Basically what I understand is the stones are a bandage. what I need is a cure. The bandage will help for now, till I can get the cure.

richiep

daily water changes can be as bad as none, 15% weekly is what you should be looking at, even though your shrimp may be looking OK, inside the damage as already started, the shell is quietly getting harder this will result in failed moult, they need the high gh to condition the shell
Low gh will also affect the digestive system, they will stop breeding but those that do will be dwarfed, and all the while the shrimp are deterating
So if a failed moult don't kill them their general health will The stones may help a little but won't raise the gh to where you need it, like you say a small bandage.
This type of stone are normally added to mature tanks.

On another note your water is perfect for Caradina shrimp like crystal reds and black bee,

coolio3991

Hey what does low gh and kh do to snailswill it make it so they cant mate successfully because I've seen a bunch of snails mating but no eggs anywhere I can see.

richiep

The only thing I can tell you about snails it affects the shell, it will start to Pitt and go whiteish

coolio3991

The only thing I can tell you about snails it affects the shell, it will start to Pitt and go whiteish
So my snails do have a bit of a white shells but I've been giving them egg shells and they have enjoyed them. It strengthens there shells

richiep

Again egg shell takes months to work

coolio3991

Okay well it will help a bit for now if I add enough
Hey man have you tried Brightwell Aquatics Caridina GH+ I just ordered it. It was the only thing I could afford. it got great reviews and I've heard a lot of great things about there products. Matter infact I have there bottled bacteria coming soon. Trying to speed up the cycle in 2 of my tanks.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
StevieBubbles
Replies
Views
BigFish99
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies