Low gh and kh. Have added crushed coral to no effect! Help

1. Websteria Initiate Member

So I had wild swings in my ph and the LFS which I trust sold me some crushed coral to buffer the water, which to my understanding should increase the KH number. I just got a liquid gh and kh test kit and it only took 2 drops to change the color which indicates low hardness and low kh. Why is this happening if the crushed coral is helping buffer the water? Coral was replaced with new at last water change 4 days ago, so the water has run through it quite a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

Other info: tank is cycled. 55g. All other parameters including ph are nominal. Fish are happy and healthy.

2. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Takes time. U ou can scratch the crushed coral and swish it in between your hands in the aquarium. This will cause cloudiness but will disperse calcium carbonate faster

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Would be an idea to find out what caused the ph swings as it could happen again.
    Have you tested your tap water to see if the problem originates there?

4. Websteria Initiate Member

I believe the ph swings are occurring from low kh hardness in the water not buffering it enough.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Has it always been that way? If not it might be worth a call to your water company to find out why it's different now

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The crushed coral takes time to start adding calcium to the water.

Additionally, if the crushed coral isn't hardening the water, you may have to add more. It is kind of a trial and error process.

7. Avaddon Initiate Member

My tap water is kh2 gh3 tds 30-50. I use Aquadur at every water change to increase hardness.