Low end GPS?

1. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

We've been looking at low end GPS's.
    Is there any brand or models you can recommend or what we should steer clear of?

Brand and Model #'s would be helpful. :)

We're leaning toward one that talks.

Thanks!

2. phil saint Member Member

When it comes to GPS of any sort i always use GARMIN. I even have a small wrist watch type variant that i use for work (it even worked in afganistan) but im sure thats not the type you need lol. so im assuming you mean the type you would have in your car, iv currently got a GARMIN nuvi but thats the euro model im sure there will be an American variant. its all ways got me where i need to go ! just google GARMIN and you will find one.

hope this helps.

Phil.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ooops, should have said it was for the car.
    I don't plan on going to Afghanistan anytime soon. Glad you're home safe!
    Thanks!

4. click Well Known Member Member

I vote for Garmin too. We have a garmin Nuvi (forgot the #) and it does talk, but after a while the talking gets annoying and I usually turn it off. You can download for free different voice accents/themes from the Garmin website, some are quite funny. The word that always makes me giggle is "recalculating". The way one of the ladies says it, it's hilarious.:giggle:

The one we have has free traffic subscription and it helps at times but sometimes the updates don't come fast enough ( I live in a very busy city, traffic can change in a minute from 100km/h to 10km/h - no traffic update can keep up with that, lol ).

Other than that, I like the features, v accurate in terms of street names and points of attraction. If I get home I can get the version # for you, I think it was around $300 about 4 months ago. The price might be lower now.

btw, what's your price range?

5. phil saint Member Member

iv just got off my bum to fetch the sat nav from the car (been having a lazy day haha) the name and modle is Garmin nuvi 650, and iv just seen on the garmin site you can download maping for prity much anywhere.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi 780. I absolutely love it. Garmin makes many in their Nuvi line that are higher-end than mine and lower-end than mine. I think you can't go wrong with them. I very highly would recommend the company to anyone. I have the North America map on mine. My friend recently moved to Germany and bought the one with the Europe map....

Costco often has sales on them, by the way. :)

7. click Well Known Member Member

+1 ...Costco has the best prices for Garmin (in my area anyway). That's where I got mine from.

8. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a Tom Tom One and I like it a lot. It's been accurate in getting me places and is a great buy IMO for someone on a budget. It's a no-frills model that speaks, but doesn't announce street names (text to speech), but that's never been a problem for me. Mine was a Black Friday special for $129.99 2 years ago, but they're cheaper now I think.

9. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Garmin!!!! West Marine has them as much as $200 off!!!
    It's like MTS.....then you can get that Yacht you've always wanted, with the glass bottom....wow good idea!

:;smack I was trying to figure out what kind of fish was a GPS!!!!...until you said it needs to talk!!! :;laughing

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

The tom tom units are pretty good and at a reasonable price.

11. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I have a Garmin that works pretty good (though satellite acquisition can sometimes take quite a while).
    I wish I had a Tom Tom, but not for any reason regarding functionality (actually, it's for a reason of non-functionality). I have heard that somebody wrote a "skin" for it that is Portal's GLaDOS, complete with lying about which direction you should go.
    (The cake is a lie! The cake is a lie! The cake is a lie!)

Apparently one has been written for Garmin, too, but I don't know whether it lies to you.

12. click Well Known Member Member

haha, that's funny. I played that game, it was hilarious. I'll check to see if they have it somewhere.

13. Slug Well Known Member Member

GARMIN is the leader in the business for sure, but also more expensive. I own a tomtom and i've had no problems at all so far. Only complaint is having to buy another suction cup for the car. ;) My tomtom is easy to use and pretty dang accurate.

14. crazedACD Member Member

I used a friend's Garmin when I moved to TX, I agree it is the best brand of them. Most inclusive search function (say...you type in pet store and it will find the nearest ones in 100mi or so :) ). It is the most likely brand to get you to the door of your destination, and probably the best in ease of use.

I have a Mio, and it is good and does it's job well. It does take a little bit of getting used to, not quite as simple as the Garmin, but if you are semi-ok with technology you should be fine. It dosen't really get you to the door of your destination, more like within 10 or 20 doors :) but 97% of the time will get you where you need to go. Since I've moved to MA, I have had a little problem with it way out in the booneys trying to take me down non existent roads/private drives, but I "understand" how it works and can outsmart it haha. The search feature is pretty bare too. I really do love it, I just have to be smarter than it once in a while.

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Lucy, also, something that is really awesome is that you can search for places by name or type of place (mentioned by crazed), but then it will also list a phone number. That's been a really great feature. It helps when you are traveling with kids, because you can find a restaurant and then call to make sure it is still in business, even in rural areas. We've loved that feature. It will also calculate the shortest distance or the fastest time, and if a road is shut down, you can ask it to tell you alternate routes.

If you type in a destination, but decide you want to stop by somewhere else first, it will let you set the detour as a "waypoint", and then still direct you to your original destination.

We enjoy going for drives in the countryside, and used to stay closer to the main roads. With our GPS, we no longer worry about getting lost in the middle of nowhere. We can drive around and show the kids horses and cows, and when we are ready to go home, we push the "go home" button, and we're on our way. It also pretty accurately calculates how long it will take to get to a destination.

And no, I do not work for Garmin.

16. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks everyone!
    We read a lot of reviews but I'm glad I asked here. :)

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

has been asking :;santaclaus for a tom tom for a couple years....and :;santaclaus says "why do you need one MOM , you already know where ALL the fishstores in the state is!!" they are so jealous!! maybe this year ? ;D LOL

18. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

:;lg

19. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:;rl

We ended up getting my daughter a Garmin. :)

:whistling: I hope she doesn't read the forum.
    If so, merry Christmas honey. :;rl

20. Tavel Well Known Member Member

oops...too late!

I can still add my $0.02 right? lol!

I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W...I love it! You can search for gas stations or restaurants while on the road, and it even gives you the option to make it a waypoint to your final destination!

I also like the wide screen...it's the wave of the future!

On sale for $130 at Amazon.com...if you're looking for another one hahaha