Low Current Vs. High Current

Newb21

Hi all. I have a 20 gal tank with hang on back filter from Top Fin in their all-in-1 aquarium setup pack. I have 2 species of fish (all juvenile at the moment)- 2 honey gourami and 7 lambchop rasboras. They are both low current species and I noticed one day that the rasboras were tending to stay on one side in what I assumed was a consequence of them trying to avoid the current. I have since lowered it and while this has increased their movement throuhout the tank, I am worried about the consequences of a lower current. Is there anything I need to worry about? Oxidization or dead zones? Anything like that. Thanks!

RedOnion

Hi all. I have a 20 gal tank with hang back filter from Top Fin in their all-in-1 aquarium setup pack. I have 2 species of fish (all juvenile at the moment)- 2 honey gourami and 7 lambchop rasboras. They are both low current species and I noticed one day that the rasboras were tending to stay on one side in what I assumed was a consequence of them trying to avoid the current. I have since lowered it and while this has increased their movement throuhout the tank, I am worried about the consequences of a lower current. Is there anything I need to worry about? Oxidization or dead zones? Anything like that. Thanks!
You could do a high current and place a sponge where the water falls down. It makes the water come down much smoother and does not disrupt the fish. Its what I do in my 5g for my betta.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Hi all. I have a 20 gal tank with hang back filter from Top Fin in their all-in-1 aquarium setup pack. I have 2 species of fish (all juvenile at the moment)- 2 honey gourami and 7 lambchop rasboras. They are both low current species and I noticed one day that the rasboras were tending to stay on one side in what I assumed was a consequence of them trying to avoid the current. I have since lowered it and while this has increased their movement throuhout the tank, I am worried about the consequences of a lower current. Is there anything I need to worry about? Oxidization or dead zones? Anything like that. Thanks!
If you just add an air stone your good.

Upvote 0

Newb21

You could do a high current and place a sponge where the water falls down. It makes the water come down much smoother and does not disrupt the fish. Its what I do in my 5g for my betta.
Interesting! Would you mind sharing a picture of what that would look like?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Interesting! Would you mind sharing a picture of what that would look like?
Sure, my tank lights are off now, but they will be on in 2 hours. Ill upload a pic then in the meantime here's a drawing of it lol
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Newb21

If you just add an air stone your good.
I have a battery powered one in case of emergencies but didn't think to use it now
(if i'm thinking of the right thing). Thank you

Upvote 0

RedOnion

Here is the pic, I just shove it in between the lid and filter but if you dont have a lid like this, then just wrapping a rubber band around should be perfect

Upvote 0

Newb21

Here is the pic, I just shove it in between the lid and filter but if you dont have a lid like this, then just wrapping a rubber band around should be perfect
Wow, nice ingenuity. thank for taking the time to take and send that picture! I think I'll give it a try.

Upvote 0

Ryngwrayth

I baffle my AquaClears with a sliced water bottle. Then I can move it up or down as needed. My plants have grown to the point where I don’t really need it anymore though.

Upvote 0

Newb21

I baffle my AquaClears with a sliced water bottle. Then I can move it up or down as needed. My plants have grown to the point where I don’t really need it anymore though.
Dang, this hobby has a lot of smart folks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
luluvontepes
  • Question
Replies
Views