Lovebirds clutch - Here we go again!

Tigerlily

Well Known
They are so darn cute! They've grown like crazy and look so good. How old do they have to be to go to their new home?

I've become quite enthralled with a barn owl family in CA. Have you been watching Molly and her babies?

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
They will go to their new home as soon as I am sure they are eating completely on their own. This morning, they ate half a syringe of food between them - so that still counts as a "supplemental" feeding. They are cracking seed and eating pretty much on their own so it won't be much longer. They have gotten to be excellent flyers so they got their wings trimmed. They now know that they can't fly like they used to and are climbing all over everything. They even climb over each other - squawking the whole time.

Well, it is time for new videos of Remus and Romulus... This is what they do when I first open the cage. Fly to Mom, then fly to the food...

Then, of course, it is breakfast time...cereal and peas this time. They also like corn, scrambled eggs, cheese, and brussel sprouts, and carrots. Oh, and we musn't forget dessert - a yummy camera strap!

And then, after breakfast, a little playtime. Their new Momma sent over a toy for them. Typical kids, ignore the toy and play with the box - or in this case, the hardware to hand the toy with... "Mine", "No, mine", "No, mine"...

Oh, and they like to watch tv too. They are fascinated by the little glowing lights and the white letters on the keyboard!

Betta Whisperer

Well Known
How do they have room for dry food after the other stuff. Also how do you tell there sex?

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
They are only eating about 1/2 a syringe of formula a day now, so it is mainly to keep them "topped up". It is enough to take enough of an edge off so they can eat the other food and not feel like they are starving. Eventually they will no longer feel a need for the formula.

As for sexing them, it is very difficult. I usually go by adult behavior, the male is more vocal and the female prefers to stay in the nesting box while the male stands guard outside. It is said you can feel the spacing between the pelvic bones - narrow is male, wider is female. This is not entirely accurate if the female is young and has never laid an egg. The pair that is the parents of these two have had multiple clutches - the greens have all turned out to be males, while the one yellow we think might be a female (still too young to tell for sure).

Tana

They are so beautiful. I'm always amazed at how much more personable and curious the hand raised birds are compared to the ones that aren't. Definitely makes them more fun to have around.

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, Remus decided to take a bath before lunch today. Good thing my computer was closed!

Tana

That was so precious. I don't know how you're going to be able to part with them.

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, Remus and Romulus are still growing. Remus is starting to wean himself off the formula. He will nibble at the syringe, but only takes the formula once in a while. Romulus still begs and took a whole syringe all by himself today. They are down to only one feeding a day since they are both cracking seed and eating on their own. Romulus just doesn't quite fill up on his own yet. Of course, after their meal, they want to cuddle a bit. Their most recent favorite napping place happens to be the back of my neck. They shove their faces into my hair and their sharp little claws give me goosebumps. They squabble a bit over which one gets to be closest up under my hair. I guess I ought to wear my hair down just for them to cuddle in...

Tigerlily

Well Known
How cute! Guess dangle earrings would be a bad idea, eh? LOL They sure are adorable and what a great job you've done with them. Their new family is so fortunate to be getting these babies.

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, another update. It is almost time for Remus and Romulus to go to their new home. They are eating on their own and are ready to move to their new home. She has out of town company right now, so as soon as they leave, the birdies get to go home. They have a "tree" that they get to climb on and play on and they love it. they are getting used to it right now and then it will go to their new home with them. My sister was trimming her hedges and trees and found a couple branches that worked perfectly to make this tree.

Then, I went out and cut a couple of small branches from our apple tree. They had fun chewing on those too...

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
They are such cuties! thanks for sharing them with us
Carol

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Can you tell them apart? Can you tell if one is the leader?

Remus is the older of the two and tends to be the first to try new stuff. Romulus is quite adventuresome and is quite the troublemaker. If they are separated, Remus will go look for Romulus and be the "leader" to get back to me. Because they look basically identical, when I clipped their wings I left a couple of longer feathers on Romulus' wing to make it easier to tell them apart.

lorabell

Well Known
They r adorable......its got to be hard sending them off

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
I love the tree and it looks like they do to

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Yes, I will miss them shredding my neck with their pointy little claws and sending goose bumps all down my arms when they nibble on my hair and the back of my neck and the mess they make when they eat (since they MUST sit IN the seed dish and scatter the seed) and the shredded leaves all over the floor and the nice loud squabbling squawking when I don't let them out to climb all over me and . . .

Yes they do like their tree. They will now run to it and climb up to chew on the leaves that I put on it for them.

Well, Remus and Romulus are off to their new home. I am now waiting for pictures from their new Mommy so I can see what their new home looks like. They took to their new Mom just fine, climbing all over her while she was here to pick them up.

Lucy

Offical Spam Kicker
Thanks for the great videos. They're just way too cute.
I'm sure they'll love their new home

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, I finally got a couple pics of them in their new home. It is kind of hard to see their cage, but it sits on casters on the floor - it is huge. The pic of them sitting on their "tree" in front of their window kind of shows the cage in the background. The other pic is of them in their "bed". Their new Mommy put the grass in their bed thinking they might like it but they kicked it all out. I told her "they know to keep their bedroom clean"...

Attachments

• remus and romulus in new home on perch  5 20 10.jpg
    remus and romulus in new home on perch 5 20 10.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 127
  • remus and romulus in their new home  5 20 10.jpg
    remus and romulus in their new home 5 20 10.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 133

Tigerlily

Well Known
Thanks for the update! I've been wondering how the Dynamic Duo is doing.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• gremlin
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Chris123
Replies
Views
AP1
Replies
Views
River Gray
Replies
Views
endlercollector

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

A wise old fella once said it's ok to lose the receipt on the way home from the store... especially on those more expensive aquarium items! ;)

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom