Lovebirds clutch - Here we go again!

gremlin

Well Known
Well, my sister's lovebirds are living up to their name - they had another clutch. Two of the three eggs hatched (the third one was not fertile). Both are turning out to be green, and since my sister only wants yellow babies, I get to raise these ones to sell. There is a gal that my sister works with that wants to buy these two, so they are already "sold". They are just over three weeks old now and boy have they grown! They are so clumsy at this stage, they don't even walk yet. They just sort of scoot around on their bellies - although, this evening they stood up nice and tall to be fed (I have got to figure out how to put a video on here). Anyway, the first three pics are when they were still with Momma and Daddy - note the nice full crops (Momma feeds them good). The next two are after they came to live with me. Once again, notice the nice full crops. They don't seem to care where the food comes from as long as they get it. They are such little piggies!

Okay, we are going to try this. The first video is feeding time - they had already had two syringes, and the video is of the third...

Then the second video is of them after dinner. I thought I would see if they would walk around a bit. All they wanted to do was cuddle and sleep...

Keep your fingers crossed that the videos work!

Attachments

• pic0002b  02 17 10.jpg
    pic0002b 02 17 10.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 237
  • pic 0004b 2 24 10.jpg
    pic 0004b 2 24 10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 230
  • pic 0006b  03 01 10  spread those wings.jpg
    pic 0006b 03 01 10 spread those wings.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 223
  • pic 0008.JPG
    pic 0008.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 227
  • pic 0013.JPG
    pic 0013.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 231

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Oh how Darling!! Thanks for sharing with us!
Carol

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Hello Gremlin,

How wonderful! The babies are adorable! I needed that chuckle this morning. Thanks for sharing your feathered friends!

Ken

Lucy

Offical Spam Kicker
That's just way too cute!

Tana

They are so precious and look really healthy!! Full crops = naptime.

lorabell

Well Known
AWEEEEEE!!!!! They are just way to cute!!!!! I love their little peep sounds

Tigerlily

Well Known
Absolutely adorable! Thanks for sharing, I just love babies!

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
It has only been a couple of days since the last pics and videos, but they are getting bigger. They now stand up to be fed, and can even walk around a bit. Here is vid of them eating dinner last night...

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Too CUTE Gremlin!!!
Looks like the feeding is a bit of a messy procedure
Now you've gone and got that bird itch going again rolf

CHoffman

Well Known
Awwww. How adorable!! They are sweet little things! I'm sure they will make whoever is getting them very happy!!

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Here are some more pics. The toy was sent to them by their soon-to-be Grandma. A gal that my sister works with will be getting these two for her daughter. The daughter and her mother have both seen pics of the babies and are already in love with them.

They are just starting to explore a bit, and still don't quite know what to do with the toy.

Attachments

• pic 0022  3 14 10.JPG
    pic 0022 3 14 10.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 135
  • pic 0019.JPG
    pic 0019.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 133
  • pic 0018   3 13 10.JPG
    pic 0018 3 13 10.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 133
  • pic 0017  new toy  3 13 10.JPG
    pic 0017 new toy 3 13 10.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 133

Fishies-for-me

Well Known
Good lord they look like they haven't eaten in a month..lol Are you sure those are birds?? look more like little piggies to me....lol

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Here is them at dinner tonight. They are sure growing in lots of feathers. They got a wash after their lunch today, since they seemed quite itchy with all their new feathers coming in. They seemed to enjoy it. They even drank some of their bath water . . . I'll have to try to get pictures next time they take a "bath". Anyway, here is the latest of them.

Tigerlily

Well Known
Total cuteness! Looks as though they need a bath after every meal. LOL So adorable, I love their chirping sounds.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
So cute!
Can I ask what it is that you're feeding them?

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
So cute!
Can I ask what it is that you're feeding them?

I use Kaytee hand raising formula. It is a powder that you mix with hot water. I keep the powder in the fridge so it lasts longer. When my parents had cockatiels and I would help raise them, we made our own formula. It took a while - all the cooking, mashing, scraping, and mixing. Mixing the powder with water is much much easier.

Well, here is their lunch time feed on Saturday. Don't know how much longer they will need the syringes, they are starting to "beak" the rice crispies I give them. Crisp rice is one of the softer cereals, so it is an ideal first dry food. It's almost time to try cooked veggies and pasta and rice and . . . . .
Sorry about the off center videoing - I was too distracted trying to get the food in their beaks!

Tigerlily

Well Known
Wow... look at how much they've grown and how much more coordinated they are! Thank you so much for sharing their development... I get the biggest kick out of watching them.

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Okay - this was just too cute to not post today. After their lunch and getting a bit of a bath to wash their faces this evening, they both crawled into my hand for some cuddle time. My Mom was here, so I asked her to run the camera for me. Anyway, here is some after dinner/bath cuddle time.

Tigerlily

Well Known
Awww... so adorable... a big yawn and then zzzz and "scratch right here". Love it!

CHoffman

Well Known
Wow they are getting so big so fast! They are just precious!!

Robin4

Ok... my cheeks are sore now for all the smiling I was doing while watching your videos! Thank you so much for posting them. I don't know a lot about birds and I'm sure if it hadn't been for your videos, I would never have seen what raising babies was like. I love the little chirps! How does mom bird feel when the babies are taken away?

Robin

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Adorable Gremlin
You need to stop now you're giving me the bird itch again lol
(p.s. please don't stop I'll survive it I promise )

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Ok... my cheeks are sore now for all the smiling I was doing while watching your videos! Thank you so much for posting them. I don't know a lot about birds and I'm sure if it hadn't been for your videos, I would never have seen what raising babies was like. I love the little chirps! How does mom bird feel when the babies are taken away?
Robin

I'm sorry your cheeks are sore - mine have had quite the work out too... Momma and Poppa get over it pretty quick. My sister hasn't checked lately, but it is entirely possible that they have eggs again. Hopefully, they are taking a little bit of a break. It can be very stressful on the parents to raise the babies.

Adorable Gremlin
You need to stop now you're giving me the bird itch again lol
(p.s. please don't stop I'll survive it I promise )

If you really don't want to see pictures . . . Actually, raising the babies for my sister satisfies my bird itch without having to convince my Mom to allow an adult bird permanent residence in the house. Since it is her house, and she thinks animals belong outside (not to mention she is allergic to cat and dog), and she getting older, she deserves to have it be her way. Although she does enjoy watching the babies grow.

Well, no video this time - but here are a couple pics. They are now moved into a wire cage but they still like to snuggle in the corner. They are starting to explore a bit, and they do like their cereal to munch on. They also get chickweed (fresh from the yard where it is growing madly right now). Rice Crispies and Crispix are both soft enough that they can actually break up the pieces and eat them. The weaning pellets are still a bit too hard for them. The also like cooked peas. I'll be trying some other fruits and veggies and stuff as their beaks get stronger. Hmmm, maybe some banana or oranges . . .

Attachments

• pic 0030  in the cage now  3 23 10.JPG
    pic 0030 in the cage now 3 23 10.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 137
  • pic 0034  munching on cereal  3 23 10.JPG
    pic 0034 munching on cereal 3 23 10.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 140

Betta Whisperer

Well Known
WOW those little buggers grow fast. So cute. A boyfriend I had once had a cocketeil.SP? That was the noisest dang thing I ever heard. I hated that thing. Anyway, we unsed to live out in the counrty and he thought this stupid bird loved him so much that it wouldn't fly away so he came outside with it setting on his shoulder. Well the bird took off and flew up in the sky and we never saw it again. I tried for his sake to act like I felt bad about it but deep inside I was so glad that bird was gone. Jump forward two months. My girlfriend called me one day to say that someone had put an add in the town paper that they had found a cocketeil and they put there phone number in the add for the owner to call. Well right away I knew it was Misty(the boyfriends bird). You guessed it. I never told him! Ok, you can bash me now.

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
WOW those little buggers grow fast. So cute. A boyfriend I had once had a cocketeil.SP? That was the noisest dang thing I ever heard. I hated that thing. Anyway, we unsed to live out in the counrty and he thought this stupid bird loved him so much that it wouldn't fly away so he came outside with it setting on his shoulder. Well the bird took off and flew up in the sky and we never saw it again. I tried for his sake to act like I felt bad about it but deep inside I was so glad that bird was gone. Jump forward two months. My girlfriend called me one day to say that someone had put an add in the town paper that they had found a cocketeil and they put there phone number in the add for the owner to call. Well right away I knew it was Misty(the boyfriends bird). You guessed it. I never told him! Ok, you can bash me now.

No, I won't bash you. I won't have an adult lovebird as a pet because of the constant chatter. I actually prefer cockatiels. The females. The males are too noisy also, but the females tend to be quieter. My Rascal was such a sweet thing. My father bred cockatiels when I was (much) younger, and I and my younger sister were in charge of hand raising one of the clutches. Two females and a male. Rascal was the lutino female in the batch and ended up mine. Gray was the other female and ended up my sister's. The male lutino in the clutch was named Pepito and went to an elderly lady that my Dad knew. He was quite the character and his owner gave him his own dinner plate on the table with her that he would eat out of. All three of them were spoiled rotten (of course). Rascal had her morning and evening screech sesstion that would last about 2 minutes each day, but other than that she was pretty quiet. Gray was the same way. Hopefully Misty found a good home with the person who put the ad in the paper - if they cared enough to try to find the owner, maybe they cared enough to find Misty a good home. At least you know Misty didn't end up as dinner for someone else.

Lucy

Offical Spam Kicker
I lost track of this thread!
My goodness they grew quick.
Their little chirping is adorable and cuddle time, well, that's just way too cute!

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, here is the next video installment - dinnertime tonight. My sister (the one who owns the parent lovebirds) was over for our crochet class, so she ran the video while I concentrated on feeding the poor starving babies. I have decided to call them Remus and Romulus since they seem to be joined at the wing. Where one goes, the other must follow...

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Awwww
How many times a day do you need to feed them?

Tana

They are getting so big and their coloring is gorgeous! I love how they cuddle in your hand. So adorable!

Robin4

They sure are getting big! I can't wait to see the tail feathers... looks like some other color besides green will soon appear.... What sweet birds....

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Awwww
How many times a day do you need to feed them?

I feed two or three times - depending on how much they eat each time and how much they nibble in between.

They are getting so big and their coloring is gorgeous! I love how they cuddle in your hand. So adorable!

It is fun when they cuddle. It was much easier when they were smaller, they both fit with no problem. Now it's kind of hard because they barely fit in my hand, but they both have to be there at the same time. If I try to cuddle one at a time, the other one will try to climb up into my hand or the one in my hand will try to climb out and go where the other one is. Hence the names Remus and Romulus...

They sure are getting big! I can't wait to see the tail feathers... looks like some other color besides green will soon appear.... What sweet birds....

Yes, the tail feathers will be green with gray undertones like the rest of their body and wing feathers, but the have blue rump feathers. Their rumps and the base of the tail have that beautiful blue coloring. Eventually all the black on their beaks will fade away also and they will get more of the peach coloring on their faces.

They've just finished eating again and are cuddled up together twittering away while they 'talk' themselves to sleep.

Robin4

What an awesome experience...... I know you love it. So when they are born (hatched...) how do you know what color they will be; like you say, your sister only wants the yellow ones... How does she tell at such a young age? What colors are the mom and dad?

Thanks,
Robin

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Dad is green split to yellow, Mom is yellow. Unfortunately, the green is the dominant color variation. The green one have dark eyes and slightly darker skin when they hatch. The yellows have much lighter skin and eyes. I leave the babies with Momma and Poppa for a couple weeks before we pull them for hand feeding and by that time, they are usually getting their pin feathers which shows the color difference even more.

Here is a picture that shows what I mean. The two larger babies in this picture are both greens. The smaller one at the bottom of the picture is a yellow. These babies are from a prior clutch from the same parents as Remus and Romulus.

Attachments

• two greens and a yellow.jpg
    two greens and a yellow.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 172
OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Okay - quick little update. Remus and Romulus are mostly eating on their own now. They still want a bit of food in the morning, but they didn't want any at all tonight. I'm not sure if they are cracking their seed yet, but the are filling up on Crispix cereal, carrot tops, chickweed, etc. Tonight all they wanted to do was cuddle. They actually flew from the table to my hand so they could cuddle. I'll try to get some video of them flying tomorrow. In the meantime, here are a couple pics of them in their cage.
The first pic they are sitting in their food dish. One will pic up a piece of cereal or a piece of the millet spray and the other will take hold of it also. This afternoon they were both chewing on the same piece of cereal. It was just too cute. Of course, by the time I got my camera, they had dropped the cereal. Oh well.
The second pic they are in their "bedtime" corner. They will climb up on the lowest perch in the cage, but they aren't real steady on the perches yet. They stay mostly on the bottom of the cage still.

Attachments

• pic 0037   3 23 10  feed us please.JPG
    pic 0037 3 23 10 feed us please.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 155
  • pic 0039  3 26 10  we sleepin.JPG
    pic 0039 3 26 10 we sleepin.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 160

Robin4

Very sweet..... They look healthy & happy!!!

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Okay - time for another video update. Remus and Romulus are now learning to fly. They do fairly well, but they need to work on their navigational skills. They are still learning what can be landed on and what can't. And yes, they still want to be together. Where one goes, the other must follow...

And of course - after dinner and flight practice it is bedtime. At least these two go to bed when I tell them to...

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Remus and Romulus are growing so fast. Here is a video of some of their "flight practice".

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
OMG so CUTE!
I have to admit the best was seeing the one boy miss his landing rofl
Glad to see he made it safely back to you though

OP
G

gremlin

Well Known
Well, typical siblings. They have to squabble over just about everything - including which one gets to come out of the cage first to cuddle with me. I couldn't stop laughing at the way they were climbing all over each other. I couldn't let them out since it was mealtime for the humans and these two haven't quite learned that birdie feet don't belong in our plates... They did get cuddle time afterwards though.

Remus and Romulus have really grown. They are trying to crack seed, but have a hard time with some of the larger pieces. They still beg, but they do feed themselves most of the time. They are down to between 1 and 2 syringes a day between them. Here is them after their syringe feeding - they are chowing down on seed, dried fruit, and cereal. Yummy...

Lucy

Offical Spam Kicker
I can't believe how big they've gotten.
The videos are too cute!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• gremlin
  • Bird
Replies
Views
Chris123
Replies
Views